Looking for the best ASUS $1000 can get me

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Mach1ga, Sep 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mach1ga

Mach1ga Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks in advance to whomever wants to help me.

I got help here many years ago to get an asus N550jv and it has been a wonderful experience. but its been a few years and it is showing, and I think I should update it before something serious hapens and I'm left without computer.
    I really liked this ASUS so I would prefer to continue with this brand. the selling point when i originally got it, apart for fitting my requirements, was the good revews about its screen, which i need for attention to detail.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

would like to spend about 1000, but can strech to 1200 if it makes a good difference

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    16" or 17"
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Spain

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: ASUS +++, maybe Acer or Dell

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Nope

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Work as beta tester for web and mobile apps. will need lots of ram & SSD for dev environments, emulators, and many browsers with many tabs

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    both, but i don't mind the weight and will carry charger too.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook?
    nothing too demanding

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    2 or 3 is fine, wont be too far from a wall socket

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    on-line is OK

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    i Will have to get a win10 for w3rk, but then will make it double boot to linux and emulate a mac. so it needs win10 license and it would be nice to know I can install ubuntu OK without missing a lot.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
    1080p (1920x1080) (or more)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    yes, I like how my current asus n550jv looks and feels and i dont think i would like going back to plastic

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    about a tera, but i do own a 1tb ssd so I could get something that already comes with a smaller SSD and then replace the big HS for my current ssd

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    one or two months

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    5 years is asking to much?

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    no time, and I would cry the whole while its gone

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    no, I change locations often and I dont mind opening the computer so any warranty would be void anyway.

Other notes:
    I do need lots of ram and space, but I don't mind getting a computer with less ram or hard drive and then changing it for a better one. I do have a good, fairly new 1tb ssd and also 16gb of ddr3 that I could savage. But I don't know if it might be better to buy new ddr4 instead ?

Thanks again to everyone that read this far.

2. cleastie

cleastie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know you said you are not looking for a refurbished/redistributed but id still like to drop this here as i thing its an amazing deal for $1k.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=GL702ZC&_sacat=0

I bought this on Ebay, a demo ex, for €800. Tho mine was with the 1600 instead of 1700 cpu, its like brand new, with one year warranty. This laptop is amazingly powerful for its price, it uses a DESKTOP cpu which can be upgraded. Tho beware, this laptop will need a bit of tweaking(undervolt cpu gpu, overclock monitor etc), and some batches of it has issues so it might need RMA if you are unlucky.

Its an amazing laptop, runs overwatch in 1080p high/medium at 220-300FPS with Radeon Image sharpening, laptop monitor overclocked from 60 to 96hz, and handles 100++ tabs, multiple softwares etc running with no issues at all.

Since its a desktop CPU, its also theoretically possible to upgrade this CPU to ryzen 3700X as it uses the same Socket and TDP, were just waiting for a compatible bios. Asus hasnt released any and they probably wont, but theres a chance we can get a modified bios that works.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019