Looking for THE 17 inch gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by dandlewood, Oct 11, 2018 at 4:16 PM.

1. dandlewood

dandlewood Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok Guys, I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure out my next laptop. I pretty much narrowed it down to the Aorus X7... and then found out it has been discontinued. All help is appreciated. Looking for a relatively thin and light 17 incher with a 1070 Max-Q or better GPU.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Up to $3,000.00

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    Prefer 17 inch, but have been considering 15's as well.

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:
    Acer

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming, Video Rendering, Photoshop(Do not need 100% ARGB), Writing Long and Arduous Documents.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes, FPS Games. 120hz minimum, 144hz Gsync Preferred

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Would like 4 hours.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Ok buying sight unseen.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p or 1440p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Either

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    512 GB NVME SSD, 1TB+ preferred secondary drive

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    2 Years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    No idea. Probably would figure something out in the interim.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Would be okay to send laptop out

I feel like I've run the gamut of every option out there and could use your input. Here are my thoughts on some of the fan favorites:

GE73:
    Pros: full 1070, 6.5 lbs, Decent Keyboard travel
    Cons: Bad Battery Life, No Gsync, 120hz instead of 144hz, Loud Fan Noise
    Neutral: Response time listed on Notebookcheck is bad (but good on gs73 which uses the same panel)

GS73:
    Pros: 5.5 lbs best in class weight, Good Key Travel for how thin it is
    Cons: Bad Battery Life, No Gsync, 120hz instead of 144hz, Lots of complaints about overheating and throttling.
    Neutral: Response time listed on Notebookcheck is bad (but good on gs73 which uses the same panel)

Omen 17T:
    Pros: 144hz Gsync, Well regarded display and keyboard, 4 hour battery life, full 1070
    Cons: Heavy at over 8 lbs, Ugly Red backlight/WASD keys are a huge turn off, plastic build quality, Screen Response time poor compared to other options.

Razer Blade Pro 1060:
    Pros: Relatively great Battery Life, Good build Quality, Light Weight
    Cons: 1060 GPU, outdated 7700 Processor, Terrible Screen Response time.

Razer Blade Pro 1080:
    Too Expensive to have an outdated processor.

Alienware 17R5, GT75, G703GI, etc
    TOO HEAVY

Clevo PA71ES
    Tough to find information. I think battery life and screen response is poor. Have also heard build quality is subpar.

I was really hoping Razer was going to refresh the pro line yesterday along with the phone release, but we got a new 1060 Razer 15 with 60hz screen and secondary storage -_-

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The Asus GL703GS looks like it would satisfy all your requirements. Ordering from HIDevolution will allow you to customize most aspects of the laptop, including RAM and storage. It would also be a good idea to spring for the CPU/GPU cooling upgrades. When you're ready to order, contact @Donald@HIDevolution - he can review your build, make suggestions, and offer a small discount for being a NBR member.

Ultra Male likes this.
  3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    How about the Asus GL704GM. Repasted through hidevolution and with their support instead of Asus it should be a great fit. The 144hz narrow bezel display should be great.

Ultra Male likes this.
  4. dandlewood

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion, it's an enticing option. The cons seem to be that the battery life is 2-3 hours and it has very high temps/fan noise. It's a great suggestion as it checks a lot of my boxes.

5. dandlewood

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but this appears to be a 1060 model, and I was really looking for 1070 MQ or above.

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The cooling upgrades offered by HIDevolution will (largely) mitigate the thermal issues. However, unless you're willing to look at thicker, dedicated gaming laptops, you are going to have to compromise a bit in terms of temperatures and fan noise.

The general rule of thumb if you're trying to find a system that does absolutely everything well is, power, thermals, battery life, thinness: Pick three.

Ultra Male likes this.
  7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    You have to decide what is most important. You analyzed the available models correctly, so you just need to decide how important battery life is. I would personally select the ASUS GL703GS , it checks all of your boxes other than battery life.

8. dandlewood

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'm seriously considering the GL703GS. While I wish the battery life were longer, I'm more concerned with the temperature issue. Every review I've found so far seems to cite this laptop as one of the loudest (I think 55 in Overboost mode and 52 in regular) and most reviews, both professional and private, seem to agree that it throttles pretty consistently. Does anyone own one that has been modded with Grizzly and Fuji pads? I'm curious to hear how well this addresses heat/noise emissions.

9. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi man,

I did a search here and these I think are all your options: noteb search.
    All these laptops are 17 inches, G-sync, 120Hz minimum, GTX 1070 or better, 512 GB SSD and 80% sRGB or better.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

So yes, the GL703GS is top of the list, the Clevo PA71ES-G, however, would arguably be a better deal.
    Both laptops suffer from thermal problems and need to be thermally modded in order to work long term, so you need to get them from HidEvolution or XoticPC with the thermal mod or do the modding yourself.

Another option that might interest you is the older MSI GT73VR, but you might consider it too heavy.

BrightSmith likes this.
  10. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Blacky likes this.