Looking for slim/light laptop with good gaming potential

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Skyze, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Skyze

Skyze Newbie

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    $1,000-$1,800

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Open to most
    b. Dislike: Read some not-so-great reviews on Razer, so while not completely opposed to it, would probably stay away.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming + general use. I have a work laptop, so this will be mostly for personal use (perhaps some occasional work) and gaming.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes. Planning on travelling for a couple of weeks every few months. This means weight/slimness is pretty important. Think 4.5 pounds is the heaviest I would go.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes. Mostly World of Warcraft, Overwatch, and Heroes of Newerth. While these are the main games I play, would also like to be able to play some new games if something interesting comes out.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Not sure, but prefer on the longer side - maybe 7+ hours.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Would prefer to see the notebooks, but if thats not possible, can buy online.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    High resolution.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Probably matte, but not that picky.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes. I was looking a lot for gaming laptops but really do not like how they look or how heavy they are.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Not sure.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP - was hoping to purchase this week.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    3-4 years+

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Possible a week or two.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Shipping laptop would be acceptable.

Additional comments: I've spent a lot of time looking through various options over past week. At the moment, leaning most towards Dell XPS 15. Understand that it is not ideal for gaming, but after going through a number of sites, seems like it would handle the main games I want on high settings at 60+ FPS. Only downside is that if I were to try a more graphic-intensive game (like COD), that might not work well.
    I also looked at Asus Rog Zephyrus - which seems pretty good, but not reassuring how loud the fans get (read a bunch of reviews on that). Also read that these can be turned down manually, but doesn't seem like the best option. Lastly, don't really like how the laptop does not have a webcam.
    Also looked into Eluktronics Max 15, but not familiar with that brand and does not seem like they sell in the UK.

Any thoughts about a lightweight/slim laptop that is also good for gaming would be much appreciated!

2. Skyze

Skyze Newbie

Reputations:
    I've done some research and essentially narrowed it down to 3 different laptops now:
    Dell XPS 15: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...i7-laptop-512-gb-ssd-silver-10195516-pdt.html - currently the one I'm leaning towards
    Asus Rog Zephyrus G14: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...d-ryzen-9-rtx-2060-1-tb-ssd-10205673-pdt.html - dont like that it has no webcam and apparently gets loud
    XMG Fusion 15: https://www.xmg.gg/en/xmg-fusion-15 - not familiar with this brand but seems like the equivalent of Eluktronics Max 15, which seems to be a really well received laptop

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

3. Math.Brandon

Math.Brandon Newbie

Reputations: