Looking for recommendations on new laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Elliot Levine, May 22, 2019.

1. Elliot Levine

Elliot Levine Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? $1500.00

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Sager/Clevo Dell, MSI, ASUS,
    b. Dislike: ACER
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? If they have a decent wrrenty

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Family laptop, photoshop, web surfing, eventually gaming kids will be playing AAA games so want something they can grow into

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Mostly using in house only

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) Yes, Civilization V, F1 2018, Need for speed, NBA 2k19

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 3+ on normal activities, not gaming

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Either is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows 10 Home is fine

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) 1920x1080 full HD with at least 120hz

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Absolutely not

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? I would like to be able to have an OS SSD and then have room to add a second either M.2 or 2.5" SSD or HDD if needed

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Now

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 3+years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? a few weeks

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? ok to ship if needed

I am looking for a family laptop, something I can use for work, something my wife could use photoshop on and the kids can game with. Thiness or looks are not important, staying on budget and getting something that I can keep for a few years without becoming antiquated is what I am looking for

2. Vu Minh Hoang Dang

Vu Minh Hoang Dang Newbie

Reputations:
    Sager NP8971 model might be a good option for you

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
  4. amirbahalegharn

amirbahalegharn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    suggestion :
    https://www.eluktronics.com/MECH-17
    9750H,gtx1660ti which if little overclocked,would give the same performance as rtx2060,16GB(2X8GB dual channel),EluktroBoost which really improves the performance that Bob has covered in the following link , samsung p961 128gb ssd "free" , Cool Laboratory Liquid Ultra CPU & CM MasterGel Maker GPU Thermal Compound Upgrade [$+35] , for 1375$, for around 135$,get 1TB M.2 nvme ssd (read/write: >3000MB) from saber:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rocket-Internal-Performance-SB-ROCKET-1TB/dp/B07LGF54XR
    (you may read more about this particular model from this link)

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  5. Viares Strake

Viares Strake Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would definitely grab something with a RTX 2060 or 1070 in it. The Clevo/Sager brand, as users above have suggested, is pretty good (I own one) but you could probably pick up an MSI as well for that price range.
    These models shouldn't have any issues with the battery life you're after unless photoshop is doing some intense processing. I use https://www.notebookcheck.net to get those kind of specs.

6. Elliot Levine

Elliot Levine Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply's. I am now looking at the Sager 7873 vs 7876 vs 8971. I like the 8971 for bigger battery and better cooling capabilities, although I was going to have it repasted anyhow. What are your thoughts on these three models?

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Save a bunch of money, get a dell G3. Modify it as you see fit. You can purchase ram, SSD's even a UHD display and install later. The dell G3 17" is 1299 cdn, so about a grand American. Lovely machine. There is a guy here that took the 15" installed the UHD monitor in it and LOVED IT for the money.