Looking for Recommendations on Gaming Laptop with i7 7820 and GTX 1080

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by An_Organic_Coconut, Mar 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. An_Organic_Coconut

An_Organic_Coconut Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Folks!!!
    Just noticed my tax returns were deposited so I decided that its time to upgrade my gaming laptop, would go desktop except I move around a lot for work.

I do prefer a 7820 over the 7700, if cost is significantly different vs performance gain could be swung to 7700, I don't mind opening it up and repasting
    GTX 1080 is most preferable
    Memory and Storage that are included doesn't matter too much since I'll upgrade as I need it
    A 120Hz panel would be prime
    I would like the laptop to have a 64GB capacity (not a deal breaker if not), and at least 2 NVMe slots
    I have a budget of ~$2500 USD, Prefer to be on Amazon since I get money back :) although they don't have all options available.

My current choices:
    1) Acer Predator 17 X (most expensive but most likely to buy)
    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predato...1522428743&sr=8-1&keywords=acer+predator+17+x

Has all listed specs, BUT FRIGGIN 4K PANEL, guess that's what I get for being picky with Amazon

2) HP Omen X 17t upgraded by Computer Upgrade King
    https://www.amazon.com/17t-Virtual-Reality-Gaming-i7-7700HQ/dp/B077MHQSFZ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1522427997&sr=8-8&keywords=hp+omen+x+17t&th=1

the 7820 is 200 bucks more...worth?, the non-upgraded base version available also for 2200

3) ASUS GL702VI Computer Upgrade King upgraded
    https://www.amazon.com/GL702VI-i7-7700HQ-Windows-Notebook-Computer/dp/B074JH4PTG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1522428664&sr=8-6&keywords=asus+gl702vi&th=1

The only variant not to have the 7820 or multiple NVMe or 64 GB RAM, but whatevs since it's loaded

4) MSI GT75VR (Least bang for my buck considering performance hardware, but has a cool keyboard)
    https://www.amazon.com/GT75VR-TITAN...428761&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=msi+gt75vr&psc=1

This one is extraaaa thiccccccc.

SO, yeah heavy hitters, ASUS is aight could be swung that direction, I am unopposed to suggestions, please throw out any that you have!!!

ALSO, saw the Acer Predator Triton 700 but then realized it was Max-Q, dropped it like it was hot.

2. Ginerashon

Ginerashon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I literally just finished working with @Donald@HIDevolution and purchased my MSI GT75VR Titan Pro-202 about 5 minutes ago. I went back and forth on several laptops and configs and finally decided this will be my machine, and I am confident it will last me a longgg time! Best of luck to you with whatever you decide on purchasing!

3. An_Organic_Coconut

Reputations:
    What was the deciding factor?

Skickat från min SM-N950U via Tapatalk

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  4. Ginerashon

Ginerashon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well the monitor is juicy, but the MS GTI73VR - some of these seem to have that monitor, but apparently the models that have the 7820HK processor might have the wrong chipset (HM175) are missing the ESS SABRE audio DAC. So that's a little bonus toward the MSI GT175VR >>> The other being the keyboard. I've been using a mechanical desktop RGB keyboard since one of the first release came out several years ago, and I decided I'd like to have one myself. The difference in price wasn't that huge and to have the latest and greatest maybe it's just worth it. Although if keyboard isn't all that important to you, might want to just go for a MSI GT173VR with GTX 1080 and 7820HK processor. Just make sure it has that 120hz 3ms monitor.

I was considering at first an alienware, and eventually a sager. But I just decided the monitor+keyboard and others opinions on these two laptops would just carry me over the edge to settling on that one. I watched a ton of youtube videos on the GT173/175 as well.

5. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, the Gt73VR models are very confusing now, with MSI's shenanigans with their 200 variations of model numbers and part numbers for the same chipset, them slapping 7700HQ's on some CM238 and HM175 models, and NONE of the HM175 models coming with the HIFI DAC (ESS Sabre) board. That makes it a minefield for anyone who just wants a gaming laptop with all the goodies that isn't cut down.

So I recommend the GT75VR with the 3ms 120hz screen for more responsive gaming and a crisper desktop (the older 5ms screen looks great in games too, I own it, but there is some pretty serious overdrive ghosting going on on the windows desktop while scrolling text. I am guessing that the 3ms screen is what is designed to address that "issue", as the scrolling issues with the 5ms screen are well known. When gaming, I can see no difference at all between my "1ms" 120hz Benq monitor (when the blur reduction is disabled), and the 5ms 120hz laptop screen, besides the laptop screen having MUCH better colors than the old Benq AUO M270HTN01.0 27" panel (pretty legendary for abysmal colors). It's just on the windows desktop that the Benq shows no streaking at all (Even with blur reduction disabled) while the 5ms screen shows noticeable artifacts when scrolling (especially vertically).

I recommend this model for the GT75VR:

http://www.hidevolution.com/msi-gt75vr-7rf-titan-pro-202.html

The base model does not have a SSD, so you will have to add that in yourself in the configurator.
    I would definitely choose this model over the 7700HQ version even though after you add a SSD Drive, it will be slightly more expensive than the similar spec 7700HQ, my own tests have found that the 7820HK will keep the GTX 1080 very happy (if it's in your budget).

Making sure you have the hifi Sabre DAC is rather a big deal if you game with headphones. There's a nice improvement in sound quality and depth when using the hifi board rather than the stock realtek board. Sound quality means you hear the enemy footsteps before they hear you. = More frags. And for listening to music with any decent set of headphones, the HIFI DAC is a must :)

6. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Msi GT7xs or Clevo P7xxs

7. An_Organic_Coconut

Reputations:
    Clevo series looking good especially since they have a model with the 8700

Skickat från min SM-N950U via Tapatalk

8. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Do you really need the 8700? I would personally choose the GT75VR-202 because of the better screen and keyboard. I had a P750ZM a few years back and while the 4790k was wonderful, I had to carry a Logitech bluetooth keyboard with me because the built in was very hard to type on.

Ultra Male likes this.
  9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    the MSI GT75VR Titan Pro has some of the best cooling amongst all laptops thanks to its cooler boost titan technology:

[​IMG]

It also has the best screen you could get right now, a 120hz/3ms FHD screen that have very vibrant colors.

I have last year's GT73VR Titan Pro and because of it's awesome cooling, I am running overclocked @ 4.4 GHz since day one.

What I recommend is getting it from HIDevolution as they do an excellent job when it comes to thermal paste application, proper stress testing to ensure the laptop works great out of the box, and they have the fujipoly extreme thermal pads for even better cooling than the already great cooling this laptop comes with as standard.

They have a discount now for it, see:
    Custom Built MSI GT75VR 7RF Titan Pro-202 17.3" w/ G-Sync nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

Also, if you email donald@hidevolution.com and tell him your NBR Forum username, you can get another small discount.

Also see these threads:

HIDevolution - The Best Company I ever dealt with
    HIDevolution's Warranty!
    HIDevolution - a benchmark for excellent customer service

10. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The keyboard on Clevo's high-end models (P7XX, P8XX) is pretty terrible for typing. Its only advantage is that it's easy to remove in order to access any RAM or M.2 SSD slots underneath. This is about the only thing I dislike about MSI laptops. The company will often put such ports on the top of the motherboard, which requires you to almost completely disassemble the machine to access them. The GT75 has two RAM slots in this position, which is why I would strongly advise you to get the most amount of RAM you can afford at time of purchase. The top system in my signature is also an MSI product that has the same issue. As such, I made sure to get 32 GB in a 4x8 GB configuration straight out of the gate because the pros at HIDevolution have taken these machines apart and put them back together probably thousands of times, plus should one of the modules go bad, I wouldn't risk breaking anything because I'd send the computer back to HID for repair (I bought the 3-year extended warranty and I would recommend you do the same).

Ultra Male likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.