Looking for portable, durable, affordable mid range gaming laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by craigery81, Mar 9, 2019.

1. craigery81

craigery81 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    DISCLAIMER: I have purchased the Razer Blade 15 RTX 2060 model for $2350 and added 2 yr warranty to it (bringing it to like $2700 which is way above my budget). I feel like this is slightly too expensive for my needs despite the fact I LOVE the laptop and it is what im looking for in terms of quality build and portability and performance. I am filling this out to see if I am missing something on the market that would better suit my needs for about $1k less. I only play WoW, Destiny 2, League of legends, fortnite and apex for the most part. I want the laptop to be able to play these titles 3 years from now.

Edit: The RB 15 RTX 2060 runs pretty hot in the CPU temps. I would like something that could handle the heat from the 8750H better or even an older model pc that doesnt use the 8750H. I need portable but not necessarily "thin and light" like what is out on market now days.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $1,000-2,200

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Long time Alienware customer and dell customer.
    b. Dislike: Havent tried other brands yet.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming, web browsing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Traveling quite a bit

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes, WoW, League of Legends, Fortnite, Apex Legends, Witcher 3, Overwatch, Destiny 2, etc. Nothing too demanding tbh.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    3-8

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Would prefer to see them

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

Prefer 1080p IPS screen. 120 hz or better would be great

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

Doesnt matter much.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Yes

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Probably just 1 TB SSD

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    This month

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    3-4 years (My Alienware 15 R1 lasted 4.5, will still play games if plugged into wall)

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Month or so

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Either is fine as long as it gets fixed or replaced.

2. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Have you taken a look at the Clevo P960ED (16.1") and P970ED (17.3")? They can be found starting a bit under the ~$1500 and ~$1600 mark, respectively.
    Another option that has garnered positive attention is the Lenovo Y740. This review from @Naeem Chandani actually compares the build quality and size to the Razer Blade 15.
    Since you've had a good experience with Dell, maybe the G7 is worth a look. I'd await reviews, though, since the G5 has several issues that could be present in the G7 also (thermal management seems to be a bit better -specially after tweaking- and build quality appears to be improved but battery drain during intensive use remains to be tested).
    If you really like Razer's build, did you consider the base model? It's gotten generally positive reviews. If you want to avoid Razer customer support, buying through Microsoft (10% discount for students, parents, teachers and military), Best Buy or Amazon can be considered.

Hope this helps! :)