Looking for old powerful laptop CCFL screen

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by thrombox, Jul 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thrombox

thrombox Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I recently bought a P645-SG, a laptop that was absolutely perfect for me.

Unfortunately I've come to the realisation that I am completely unable to use it due to the LED screen which makes me very nauseous, I am so sensitive to LED screens that I have to look for an old CCFL style laptop, because the nausea becomes unbearable.

I am basically after the following, and I'm happy to refurbish it myself i.e. new battery etc.:

-A laptop under 2kg weight (lighter the better).
    -A half decent graphics cards 1Gb up preferrably.
    -Battery life - very important the more the better. Happy to buy chunky batteries if need be.
    -14"-15" screen
    -I require HDMI and VGA outputs.
    -CCFL backlit screen only.
    -Win 7

1) What is your budget? Under the circumstances irrelevant

2) What size notebook would you prefer? 14"-15"

3) Where will you buying this notebook?
    USA, EU, UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Toshiba or anything
    b. Dislike: Sony

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Under the circumstances the only option

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Everything, but mostly work, reading and films. I require HDMI.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Only old games.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    As much as possible

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online is fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Windows 7

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read.

1080p max no more.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Preferrably matte, but gloss ok.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not important

15) When are you buying this laptop? I need the laptop now

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? Irrelevant

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? 1TB and yes, I'd like an SSD drive, I can upgrade this later.

18) Do you need an optical drive? Not important.

Thank you for your help!

2. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
  3. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Does not exist. None of the CCFL backlit has 1GB VRAM, nor has HDMI, or anything newer than a Core2Duo.

4. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Actually, some Asus N50 models do have CCFL displays with a GTX9650m 1 GB IIRC. Those are old 2009 Core 2 Duo, DDR2 laptops, seriously old. I mean, that 9650m can't even properly use 1 GB of VRAM because it has rather low memory bandwidth. Those also have HDMI. However, as you mentioned, they are still old machines good only for Internet.

5. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    @thrombox try f.lux before ditching your new Clevo, it helped me when I was getting sick of HP 4740s screen. Set it to 3400K or something similar for a start - not an option for color-sensitive work, but games and browsing will do just fine. If your issue is with PWM, it certainly won't help - but since you didn't mention screen flickering, worth a try.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  6. thrombox

Reputations:
    It's an acer (is that the same as a clevo? ).

I've tried flux to no avail.

You maybe right about the pwm I briefly used an Asus Ux 303 Ln for a few months and I didn't get the nausea.

I'm really pissed off about it since the p645-sg literally was my dream laptop, perfect in every way, except the vom inducing screen.

I think you guys maybe being a little hard on ccfl laptops.

My last laptop was a 2006 Toshiba A100-159 and yea I'd like some more power but I don't need modern games.

7. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    First of all, I don't play games. 2010-2011 vintage machines are what I use at home. I do broadcast production and engineering work on my machines, a first gen Core i3 for me sometimes gets a bit slow (I do multi track audio and vinyl dubbing, sometimes EQ and declicking needed) and I need to handle large PDF files, some light CAD, and video editing. 8GB RAM and sometimes more is occasionally necessary for me. I'm in the process of moving up to a used Workstation one generation newer.

8. Starlight5

Starlight5 W I N T E R B O R N

Reputations:
    @thrombox check GT240M and Intel 4500MHD specs and benchmarks on notebookcheck. If the former is OK for your games, there's a point looking for older machine, but unless the latter is OK as well - don't expect any good battery life from it.

9. thrombox

Reputations:
    So is there any fix for the pwm and low hz? I tried to manually increase the hz refresh rate with cru on the Acer and it wouldn't boot to windows needed to do recovery.

10. thrombox

Reputations:
    Starlight I'm on my phone will check this when I get back. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.