Looking for new or refurbished laptop, for general browsing use.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by GregV., Aug 23, 2020.

1. GregV.

GregV. Newbie

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget? About $300 or less.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    Between 10 and 13 inches is fine.
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USAi

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:
    I heard that ASUS and Acer are good. Toshiba?
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? General internet browsing and some light college work/personal wring projects.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Mostly at home, occasionally take with me on tje road.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) No, i'm not a gamer.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Mot sure, average battery life should be ok

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Yes, I would like to see it first if possible. Unless it's a really good deal from a reputable seller.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) I don't know exactly - average resolution should be ok, I think.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) I don't know exactly, open to suggestions.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Somewhat, but not super important.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? I dont know exactly, an average amount is probably ok.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? In the next 1-2 months.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? As long as possible.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? A couple of days up to a week.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? I dont know.

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You're probably best served going used. Most new $300 notebooks are going to offer you a turd for a CPU and low amounts of memory. You could try the manufacturer outlets, but the prices and stock fluctuates, and honestly, $300 is low. A used ThinkPad or Latitude business class notebook will offer you the best bang for your buck and you don't need much oomph, but it can be more risky as there's no warranty. Good Luck.