Looking for Macbook Pro Replacement

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ssvt, Nov 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssvt

ssvt Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?

$2000-3000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    No preference but lean to Dell

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Adobe CS6 and CC, Web development, database work, graphics

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    70% at the desk.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    No, none at all.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    4 or so.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    W/O seeing is ok. (I've seen the Dell Precision 5510 which is what I'm leaning towards.)

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Linux, Windows 7. Never 10 - never.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

1920x1080 or higher. The Dell 5510 also offers 3840x2160. How great would that be? I'll never use the touchscreen - just won't. Will the higher-res cause problems? Can it be scaled down?

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Glossy is fine - preferred.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Replacing my old Macbook Pro that has been my workhouse for 8 years!

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

4+ years
    Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

At least 512 SSD

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

Not needed.

I'm really leaning towards the Precision 5510 or 7000 series. I was planning on buying a new MBP after waiting BUT Apple has lost its way IMO. My main concern about the 5510 is whether the high-res screen is worth the extra money. My current MBP only has 1400x900 so anything higher would be icing on the cake. (And I'm not getting any younger - 61 years old means tired eyes!) Recognizing the issues I've read about Linux and the higher-res display - would I miss it? Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The Precision 5510 is a great choice. If you want to avoid Windows 10, and are going to be using CS6, then you will have the easiest path with the FHD display. Most stuff should work fine at 100% - 125% scaling (your preference depending on eyesight).

I know many people who preferred glossy displays because they used to have nicer looking color than older matte displays. However, there are many matte panels available on laptops (the Precision included) that have great looking color without the gloss. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Oh, and the HP Zbook Studio is another option very similar to the Precision, in case you are looking for other suggestions. Its got a slightly different keyboard layout, a few more processor options, and has an integrated gigabit ethernet port if you think you would need to be carrying a dongle around often.

3. ssvt

ssvt Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the comment. I'd looked at the HP and it (and the new Spectre) look great but we've had a few of the 5510's at work that convinced me to go that route. I agree with what you're saying about the FHD display - it will save me a bit of change too!

4. KCETech1

KCETech1 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    from Dell the 5510 and 7510 are the way to go. other options I have or have used for heavy CS/CC work are the Lenovo P50 and P70 ( have the 70 with xeon/m4000m/64gb ) and the HP Zbook 15 and 17. I have not had hands on with the Zbook studio but its interesting me as well. ( I have a collection of HP workstations dating back to the old infamous 8740W )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.