Looking for laptop for SWTOR

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by 653473spd, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 653473spd

653473spd Newbie

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?

1000-1500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

United States

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Sager, MSI, Force
    b. Dislike: Dell

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Gaming, Surf Web, Movies

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Will Be Staying At Home Plugged In

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

SWTOR

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Not Important. Will be plugged in usually

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

No Preference

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Windows 7 64bit. Will probably order with no OS though

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glare

No Preference

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Sometime this week I will be ordering.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

2-3 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?

500'sh Gig. 7200rpm

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?

Dont really need

------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi folks. I'm looking for advise and thoughts on a couple laptops I have been considering. Allthough I'm open to suggestions. I was hoping to keep the price around 1000. But after doing a bit of research I'm not sure that will be enough laptop. Thinking I may need to be in the 1500'sh range to get what I need.

My 2 candidates are Sager 8130 with 560m. And the 8150 upgraded to 6990. I guess my concern is will the 560m be enough of a GPU for SWTOR? Was even considering sticking with the I5 if I did the 8130. Since I was reading on the forums SWTOR is doing fine with I5's.

I also considered the Force with the 570m as a GPU aswell. Allthough thinking I will be better off with Sager.

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Chris

2. jmdMac

jmdMac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I went with the MSI GT780DX-406US - XOTIC PC - MSI Ultimate Gaming Laptop from XoticPc.com.

I added a few customizations (wireless card, thermal compound, recover disks, and glossy screen) and my total came to ~$1750 however it comes with a $100 rebate so $1650. That was including shipping to Alaska also, and they include free sipping to the lower 48.
    Without any customization (which is not needed) you could get one for ~$1450 shipped including the mail in rebate.

It comes with the 570m, which should be plenty to run the game at max or near max settings with good fps. I did plenty of forum reading before my purchase. Also, it has a great customizable backlit keyboard which I preferred for gaming in a dark room.

Good luck.

3. Wildride

Wildride Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You know I have to stop reading these forums, that machine looks good and now you have me wondering between the Sager and the MSI.

The Sager is coming with the ATI 6990 which I think is higher than the 570 but I don't know for sure.

4. jmdMac

jmdMac Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have heard good things about both Sager and MSI. MSI supposedly has a great warranty and customer service. Also, I really some of the bells and whistles such as the custom backlit keyboard and nice speakers. Sager is definitely more plain looking.
    I do however hate the look of Alienware machines, just not for me, way too flashy.

5. gwilled

gwilled Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    At this budget, the best graphics card value is the 6990M in the Sager or the 580M in the MSI 1761. These will allow you to push the higher settings much better than a GTX 570M. However, a 570M will still game very comfortably at 1080p. What the GT780DX adds in over the 1761 is a back-lit keyboard.

From a cooling perspective, Sagers/Clevos are typically more effective as they have dual-fan solutions in even their 15.6" laptops. They are also a bit smaller and lighter than their MSI counterparts. All these choices are good and it is just a matter of weighing different preferences against each other.

Warranty-wise, the most noticeable thing the MSI GT780DX (not the 1761) adds is international service (irrelevant for most) and a year of accidental damage protection (some care for it others don't). Beyond that, I don't consider this to be a significant selling point one way or another.

6. Ellatan

Ellatan Old Timer

Reputations:
    Just want to chime in that you can get a backlit keyboard on Force 1761 as an upgrade. It costs $90 at XoticPC and is listed as Steelseries Backlit keyboard.

7. 653473spd

653473spd Newbie

Reputations:
    Think I'm gonna go with the 8150 / 6990 / and bigfoot wireless card. Thanks

8. ntrain96

ntrain96 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you want to play SWTOR smoothly at 1080p with graphic settings relatively high you need either a 6990m or a GX 580m. A 570m doesnt have quite enough horsepower to run SWTOR at 1080p smoothly with settings set high. If you go the NP170 Sager route you have the 6990m(Probably the best bang for the buck and can be had with some upgraded goodies for well under $1400 featuring the 6990m. If you go the MSI 1761 barebones you can squeeze into a GTX 580m. These are your 2 best choices in reality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.