Looking for help with my CF-30

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by mmacferrin, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmacferrin

mmacferrin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm new here. I've recently picked up a used CF-30 (still under warranty through this September). I'm having one issue with it, and two other questions (upgrades I'd like to do once I resolve the first problem), so I thought I'd post a thread for some help on all three.

It's a CF-30K (mk3, as far as I know) with Win7 (x86) and 4 GB RAM. In three weeks I fly to Greenland for a field campaign (we'll be on the ice for a month, in cold weather, recharging with generators, etc). I bought the Toughbook specifically for this purpose.

1) This morning the PS/2 Fujistu touchpad crapped out (not the touchscreen, just the mouse pad). At first the computer didn't see it at all (as if the hardware wasn't there), then Windows it saw it but couldn't install the drivers (Error 19, followed by an Error 10), so I was trying to uninstall/reinstall the drivers to see if I could fix it. I reinstalled them and rebooted, now it doesn't see the device again, as if it's not even there ("Scanning for New Hardware" produces nothing). I hadn't done any big Windows updates this morning, unsure what would've caused it other than a hardware failure. If anyone has any bright ideas, I'm all ears... it'd be great to exhaust the software options before trying to replace the hardware. As I understand it swapping out a new mousepad is a non-trivial undertaking. I could try to go the warranty route, but I very-much doubt I'd get it back in time for Greenland, and I need to use it in the meantime anyway.

2) Second, this computer has a 160 GB HDD, and I'd like to swap that out with a Crucial 250 GB SSD that I have on hand. Can I simply image the HDD onto the SSD and swap out the hard drives, or do I need to put in the blank SSD and re-install Windows from scratch? I'd like to avoid the latter if possible, given all the Panasonic drivers and everything else that's required to get a Toughbook running smoothly, not to mention all the software I've installed. But I would *love* to have the speed and reliability of an SSD in there before going to the field. Help is appreciated.

3) Third, I have two batteries for this CF-30, a new one and my old one (which is now a spare). I have a Media drive with a DVD in it that I will have no purpose for while on ice... I've read somewhere that I can swap out the media bay for a 2nd battery enclosure (run 2 batteries at once), but I haven't been able to confirm that. I'd like to get some knowledgeable feedback from someone who's done that before if it's possible.

Help on any of the above is appreciated, although I really need the first one resolved as soon as I can! Much obliged,

- Mike

2. mmacferrin

Reputations:
    Brief update: I plugged in an external USB mouse for a bit (just to have one to use on the machine), randomly rebooted, and suddenly my touchpad is working again. I have no idea why. It's good that it's working, but it still worries me that that happened, and--if it is an intermittent hardware issue--that it might happen again in the field (not the end of the world, but still pretty annoying).

Anyhoo, if someone has any answers to the 2nd and 3rd questions, I'm all ears. Or if you have good advice or diagnostics about the mousepad issue (which is resolved, but I'm unsure if it's permanently resolved), I'm game too. Thanks.

- Mike

3. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Welcome to the Panasonic Toughbook Forum

Yes you can do that but it is best to do a fresh install

Yes it will give you up to an extra 2 hours (maybe). The 30 will use that battery first then use the main batteries . Myself it's best to have 2 main battery because you will get more run time...and are a lot cheaper too.

Check out the below link and you will see that they are very high priced compared to the regular battery on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-G...992?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5419169c00

Here is a better price http://www.ebay.com/itm/2nd-Battery...046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8dc13e66

4. Stewboy

Stewboy Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On question 2, I was facing the same dilemma when moving my mk3 from hd to ssd, and simply did a clone from the one to the other. I had lots of software that required tweaking, so I didn't want to go through the process again. Anyway, it's worked fine.

5. mmacferrin

Reputations:
    Okay, thanks for the help, I appreciate that. When you say "it's best to have 2 main battery", do you mean running both "main" batteries at the same time in the machine, or just swapping them out when needed? I already have 2 main batteries, was just curious which option you were describing (if there's a way to run 2 main batteries at once in the machine, I'm all ears, but I'm guessing that's not what you mean).

Also curious, why is it "best" to do an OS install? The only difference in the system would be the type of Hard Drive (SSD instead of an HDD), so assuming I can get the right Hard Disk driver installed after porting it over, what's the main drawback of imaging the drive? I ask sincerely, because I don't know.

- Mike

6. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
  7. mmacferrin

Reputations:
    Good to hear! I will probably try that first. If it doesn't work, I can always toss in the Windows disk, wipe it clean and reinstall it anyway, so I guess I'm not out anything by trying to clone the drive first.

Thanks again,

- Mike

8. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    A clean install on a SSD is best because win7 detects that it is a SSD and changes about 15 or 20 different settings to get the SSD to work properly.
    Install the SSD, Do a clean install of win7
    then use the win7 CF30 one click driver bundle.

Bob's your uncle..

9. mmacferrin

Reputations:
    Thanks. Both batteries I currently have are the CF-VZSU46 versions. I will probably get a media bay battery too, simply because (a) I have no use for a DVD drive in the field, and (b) the extreme cold makes battery power a constant issue up there. The less we have to fire up the generator for recharging, the better.

Thanks! I really appreciate the quick responses this (very active) forum gets and the helpfulness of the responses so far. It's much appreciated,

- Mike

10. mmacferrin

Reputations:
    Thanks, that makes sense. Maybe I'll just grit my teeth and redo the install, and then go install the additional software as well. I'll set aside an afternoon for it.

lol on the uncle thing, close but no cigar. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.