looking for good and lightweight gaming laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by yazan, Jun 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yazan

yazan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    between 1400 - 1700 $

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    lightweight - 17 inch

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    i dont really care about the brand , if the laptop was good

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    maybe

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    gaming , multimedia , video editing .

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    i dont stay in one place , so yes , i have to take it to different places

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    im not a hardcore gamer , but i play sports and RPG games

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Would like around 5 hours in normal day

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online okay.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Windows 8

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.

1920 x 1080 p or higher

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    absolutely Yes

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    in the next month

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    3 - 5 years

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    1 TB HDD , and maybe an SSD , i can upgrade it later

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    i dont care , if it was there or not

---------------------------------------------------------------------

im searching for a powerful 17 inch laptop , the problem is i want a powerful laptop with weight between
    2 - 3 KG , with a good cooling , because i always move between the home and the work , so im afraid about both the weight and the cooling .

please help , and thanks ..

2. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    A Clevo based machine is likely your best bet here.

3. noteless

noteless Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sager NP8671 / Clevo P670SE is 6.8lbs (3.08kg) and has a thickness of 1.2".

LPC-Digital sells the Sager NP8671 Special! that can be configured with a i7, 970m, 16GB ram, 17.3" FHD matte display, 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 128GB EVO M.2 SSD and Win 8.1 for ~1450USD with the cash discount.

http://www.lpc-digital.com/sager-np8671-special.html

*[EDIT]
    Xotic-PC sells the same model for a bit cheaper and also offers custom wraps and other visual upgrades.

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8671s-clevo-p670se-p-8224.html?wconfigure=yes

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  4. yazan

yazan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    thanks man , the laptop looks good , but i didnt see any reviews for this laptop on the internet , because i want to know how is the cooling in this lap ?
    do you have any idea abouy the cooling for this laptop ?

also can you tell me what do you think about MSI GE72 , with nvidia 970 , and intel i7-5700
    is it a good laptop ? with good cooling ?
    or the clevo is much better ?

5. noteless

Reputations:
    As I understand, both MSI and Clevo are great brands although the only MSI product I've owned was a 560ti graphics card and I was quite satisfied with its quality and cooling. If you set each laptop to specs similar to each other (SSD, 16GB ram, win 8.1) the msi is a bit more expensive on xotic pc's store, however the msi has the addition of an optical drive. Also, the MSI is both heavier and thicker with a weight of 8.4lb (3.8kg) and a thickness of 1.89".

In terms of cooling I don't really know who's better, although I know that clevo's laptops have a reputation for running cool. Maxwell GPU's usually run cool, any thermal issues would be caused by the CPU.

Here is a user review from this forum of the sager.

Both laptops look like solid buys and should gaming with approximately the same performance (so long as there is no thermal throttling on the msi). Personally, I would likely go with the sager/clevo laptop as I'm the sort who enjoys tinkering and modifying the system (and I'm a bit biased toward clevo). Clevo is usually great bang for your buck. If you're buying from a custom builder (such as xotic pc) make sure you spend the extra $$ on the thermal paste upgrade regardless of which laptop you get.

I recommend spending about a week thinking on the purchase before committing. Keep reading reviews and look at other options. Good luck :D.

[EDIT]
    Heres a nice video unboxing I found:

I think it look pretty sweet and sexy :cool:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  6. yazan

yazan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i checked www.xoticpc.com , and i saw that MSI GE72 weight is 5.95 lbs (2.6 KG ) , so its a lighter than clevo , but its not that big different, because im looking for the better cooling too
    so i will Keep reading the reviews

and i have another question , whats your opinion in alienware 17 2015 , is it a good laptop , i know its heavy (3.7 KG ) , but its lighter than the other desktop replacement like asus and msi .

7. yazan

yazan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    can you recommend a specific laptop ? a model or name ?

8. noteless

Reputations:
    Ah, my mistake. It looks like I was comparing to the GT72 ; could these naming conventions get any worse? Not to mention the font on xotic's website is awful.

The MSI GE72 looks like it is flat out superior to the GT72 and is definitely neck and neck with the clevo. Like I said I'm a little biased toward clevo and would probably still grab the clevo for its easy access to the internals, but the specs on the msi look really quite good. My only concern is the noise level of the fans at full load as the fans that are usually put in slim notebooks have that whistle/whirring sound to them. Although, I do believe broadwell cpus run cooler than the haswells so might avoid that issue. It was released a month ago so I can't find any reviews on it sadly, but it looks to be an awesome laptop.

The alienware 17 looks gorgeous and has fine specs. My only issue with it is they went cheap with the HDD (5400rpm, but this isn't a problem if you add a SSD as the OS drive) and it comes with only 8GB of ram. To upgrade to 16GB ram, a SSD and better thermal paste the machine ends up costing nearly $2000 on xotic. If you cut the SSD and go cheaper on thermal its only $1850 with the memory upgrade (which I highly recommend for running games smoothly at max in the future).

Lets compare to a clevo brand now. The Sager NP6872 configured with 16GB, 120GB SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 980m and thermal paste upgrade is $1820 on xotic. Cutting the SSD (as this can be easily upgraded later) brings the price down to $1720.

--- TLDR Summary ---
    alienware 17 vs Sager NP6872 -> NP6872 has better specs at any given price, but Alienware beats it in looks without a doubt. Similar portability.

MSI GE72 vs Sager NP6871-S -> MSI has better specs at the same price as the Sager, but only slightly. MSI is also more portable. If the cooling and build quality is good then I'd say that the MSI beats the sager here.

[EDIT] Just read a review summary of the alienware 17. I missed that the alienware is capable of running an eGPU (external video card setup), however it seems that the laptop runs hot. You can read the review here.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  9. nocry

nocry Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    its been about 2 weeks now does anyone have msi ge72 5th gen , to tell us about fan noise ?

10. yazan

yazan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i got the laptop today , it looks great , i will post some benchmark after windows 10 update

nocry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.