Looking for general use laptop for my dad

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Aeyix, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Aeyix

Aeyix Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Pretty much trying to see what is out there for my old man. He currently has a 15" Dell with an i3-4010U and a 500GB 5400rpm drive running Windows 7 (he never accepted the Windows 10 offer). A year ago I bought a 1TB 7200rpm drive to swap out for it and replaced the single channel 4GB sodimm with a dual channel 8GB set. Never got around to the HDD swap even though I set it up with windows and his programs for him. In all honesty buying a 1TB SSD for his laptop would probably be a significant boost for both performance and storage for him but I know he'd like a new laptop.

Anyway, all he does is browse the internet on it and upload his photos/videos from his phone and cameras. He has adobe elements software but I'm pretty positive he's never used them. Essentially he doesn't need anything crazy. Just a decent internet browsing device and preferably an SSD for storage. He had been looking for something less than 15" a bit back for better portability and I know he'd prefer a backlit keyboard. Main issue I come across looking for a laptop is getting a backlit keyboard, SSD, in a 13-14" form factor with a CPU good for internet browsing seems impossible. Price starts to jump up quickly often for just a 1TB SSD and finding a backlit keyboard seems to be a pain. Any suggestions?

Quick Summary:
    -Curious about options on the market, the less expensive the better
    -Backlit Keyboard (color doesn't matter)
    -SSD storage, 1TB minimum
    -13 or 14" size, 15" acceptable if no smaller options
    -Usage case is 99% internet browsing, so no discrete GPU, nothing fancy for CPU.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Cheaper the better. No high point. Just want to see what the pricing is for the desired features

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: unknown
    b. Dislike: Acer
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Internet Browsing, Photo/Video Storage

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Longer the better but again preference is on desired features mentioned before the general questions

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Doesn't matter

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Doesn't matter

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    I think he'd like matte more if he experienced it but gonna say doesn't matter

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    1TB minimum

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within next few months

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    As long as possible

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    not relevant

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    doesn't matter

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you just want something with a backlit keyboard on the cheap, there's plenty of used business class notebooks out there that will give you one, then swap in a SSD. If you want something larger, but light, the LG Gram offers 15" and 17" notebooks under three pounds Even something like the 15" ThinkPad T590 is under four pounds. You could configure one, but you tend not too see to see them on more wallet friendly machines. It's one of things people are willing to pay for and notebook makers know it. The outlets are an option to save money, but it's hit or miss. I've had reps tell me that it had the backlit keyboard, but it did not when I got it. Maybe they don't know either. I always got my money back, but it's a hassle.