Looking for advice, opinions omen 17 1070 broken keyboard etc

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by hertzian56, Nov 21, 2020.

1. hertzian56

hertzian56 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bought a used omen 17, gtx 1070, 120hz screen, 256gb nvme, 2 tb hdd. I've played heavy games like RDR2, HZD for the past couple weeks no problems.

--BUT about 15 keyboard keys need to be pressed really hard to work, I've cleaned a couple with alcohol blew them out and one seems better. I could use the keyboard but it would be slow typing. I have a wireless kbm I've been using instead. I game only with a controller so gaming's not an issue. Keyboard is practically unreplaceable in these laptops.
    -Battery is bad, 55$ to replace but I'd not do that until resell or at all bc this beast will always be plugged in.

Everything else is fine. A bit of backlight bleed not too noticeable during normal use.

I paid 600 plus tx/sh so it's a really good deal per comparable systems that go for 800$ plus tx/sh on average.

Should I keep it?

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is one of those, "only you can answer that". What makes the keyboard unreplaceable?

3. hertzian56

Reputations:
    I guess. I was just asking for opinions it's not like I'm asking whether I should jump off a bridge etc

Omens, like a lot of modern large gaming laptops, actually use a series of plastic rivets to hold the keyboard in, there is no top access to replace it. So you'd have to break all those rivets, after taking out the whole motherboard and pretty much everything else above it, then put it back in and glue it back into place. The whole body is a heatsink so it's made out of metalized or metal body, not much room for swapping components in/out. If someone is stupid enough to spill on the keyboard of such an expensive piece of equipment it can't be helped. The previous owner is an example.

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ok, I watched a video from HP showing an Omen 17 keyboard replacement. That's why I asked about it. If it's available to be replaced, I would, if you have the knowledge in doing it. Nothing ventured nothing gained. You will not get the money you paid for it selling it again since the keyboard is malfunctioning. So go for it.

hertzian56 likes this.
  5. hertzian56

Reputations:
    Thanks for responding btw. Well I've already an open case with ebay about it, seller accepted the return so it will cost me nothing to return it and get all my money back. Have to ship by nov 27 so early this week needs to be shipped out.

--Since my last post I've cleaned several keys and I've got quite a few working just fine or well enough for regular typing pressure, using it now. Normally it would be going back, but it's such a great deal for the specs ,32gb ram, full gtx 1070 8gb, 17" 120hz screen, 256 gb nvme, 2tb hdd, power adapter. Battery not a big deal to source and replace. Most likely wouldn't even do it until resale. Most likely at this point I'll keep it.

kojack likes this.
  6. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Cool, Good luck with it. Maybe over time and a few more cleanings it may come back to 100 percent useful.

7. Gavrilo Princip

Gavrilo Princip Newbie

Reputations:
    Whole branch dies, looking diagonally 3 E F V etc not sure whats the case with yours... I have always replaced my kb when laptops is used as the main device... just the way to go.

Battery can be fixed by replacing cells if you got shop with spot welding service...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  8. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know this is old thread and won't help OP, but for somebody else having similar question about keyboard, I replaced keyboard on my 2018 Omen 15 inch.Biggest pain in the arse ever. I don't know what idiots designed this laptop, but I had to remove everything including screen, to replace keyboard. I think it was done on purpose to force people to buy new instead of fixing. Also when working on keyboard I broke very flimsy USB connector, which I was able to fix and somehow touchpad stopped working, which I have not been able to fix and still have no idea why. I used to build desktop pcs and I did work on laptops before, so it's not I like I didn't know what I was doing. Anyway, for my future laptop purchases, I will absolutely research difficulty of most common repairs and stay away from laptops as poorly designed as that Omen.

9. hertzian56

Reputations:
    I ended up returning the omen for a full refund, didn't seem worth the cost with a seller that neglected to mention both the keyboard problems and the dead battery as well as the significant screen bleed. I did get some improvement with the keyboard if I worked the stuck keys, removed and cleaned them etc but it seemed to come back the next day. I'm going with the theory that the high heat over time degrades the keyboard contact layer or that the seller just spilled something on it.

I think the design of a lot of laptops now don't provide for easy keyboard replacement not just the Omen, thin and light is what we get now and that doesn't leave much room for diy work outside of battery, ram, ssd/hdd, wifi card etc HP's thermal design is pretty superior imo though, very quiet, and the pavilions with gtx cards in them are low end omens. The battery would have been an easy drop in replacement for $50 or so for a new one. For 100$ more I got a brand new gateway with an rtx2060, not much of an improvement from a 1070 but at least it's new and can do dlss and light raytracing.

10. Not-meee

Not-meee Notebook Consultant

Reputations: