Looking for a Work Laptop (Posting for a friend)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Flying Endeavor, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Posting on behalf of my friend at work.

1) What is your budget?
    30-35k PHP ( 580 - 677 USD )

2) What size notebook would you prefer? D. Mainstream 15-16
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    -Philippines

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Nothing in particular
    b. Dislike:

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    -Can be.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    -For proposals and presentations

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    -Will sometimes be taking this to different places

[​IMG] Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    - Not really
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    -7hours or more will do
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    - Would prefer to see the item

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    -Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    -Full HD
    13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    -Matte/Non-glossy
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    -Yes
    Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    -SSD type
    Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    -By March 2019
    17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    -5years or more
    18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    -A week
    19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    -Will just pay if really needed

Good day, I am posting this on behalf of a friend of mine who needs a laptop for mainly proposals and work presentations. That being said, he needs a laptop with excellent connectivity, especially for projectors and whatnot so a VGA port is necessary and multiple USB drives and BUILD QUALITY.

Here are some articles that I came across whilst researching:
    https://pisopinoy.com/laptops-for-filipino-freelancers-on-a-budget/
    https://ph.priceprice.com/laptops/news/Best-Laptops-with-1TB-HDD-in-the-Philippines-2018-5644/

Are any of these options any good? Normally, I would be looking at DELL laptops as my personal recommendation due to warranty coverage and build quality, and sure enough there is the DELL INSPIRON 3467.
    It does have an SD Card Reader and a DVD Drive, but it does not have a VGA port as far as I could tell, although that could be rectified with a dongle, but it would be better if the laptop already has one built in.

There are also options for various ACER Aspire laptops as well as multiple LENOVO Ideapads, although I am unsure of the build quality of such devices cause ACER laptops in particular are rather well known for breaking down rather quickly in my country.

I am open for any other suggestions, recommendations, or opinions regarding these laptops. As much as possible, I would like my friend to get the most out of this laptop, since he would want it to last for 5 years or so.

2. Lamim Rashid

Lamim Rashid Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would look around for recent refurbs or open box laptops with a recent generation i5 or i7. If you can get one cheap you'll have left over money for an SSD. I managed to snag a refurb 7th gen i5 Intel lenovo ultrabook at 15in for around $300 then grabbed a cheap 256gb SSD to put in it.. the thing flies. I use this for programming and school work on the daily.

On another note.. you'll be very hard pressed to find "good quality" that will last that long at that budget. I've only had my laptop for a couple months (it's now a a few years old), no issues so far personally but it doesn't exactly feel durable and good quality.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  3. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you for the input. :) I have come across shops who offer decent deals on "Open Box" laptops. :) I would look into them and see if I could find a good enough deal for my friend.

Lamim Rashid likes this.