Looking for a (very) good travel mate

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Solomai, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solomai

Solomai Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all,

I have a few questions, as I'm looking for a new laptop that's not bad, at all. Let's say I still have time to make my decision (~1 year and a half), so first of all, is it a better idea to wait for new techs or nothing so promising is coming our way ?

As of right now, the closest to what I'm looking for would probably be the Razer Blade Stealth. Amazing screen, 16GB RAM, very light... Other models would be the XPS 13 (but the screen looks kinda bad), some Asus ultrabook with the same specs I forgot the name of, and the two I'm considering in a world where money isn't a problem, the new Surface Pro, and a MacBook Pro, although I'm clearly not a fan of Apple.

Let's dive into the form.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    ~1500€

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" screen (14" would be too much)
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    I live in France, but if I have to move around, that's not too big of a deal.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    As long as their stuff is good, I'm good. Except if the pricing is completely stupid (looking at you Apple... ¬¬)
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yeah, sure !

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Music, graphic design, video, code...

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    I plan on travelling around, my laptop being my primary way of making money.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    No, I don't think so. Or some very light, well optimized gaming (LoL and the likes).

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    > 6 hours would be very nice

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is always nice !

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Ultimately, I would prefer without an OS to cut the costs down, but I'm fine with everything as I'm probably going to install my own Windows version on it anyway :D

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
    If possible, QHD would be nice. 4K is 100% overkill, FHD screens are usually not so beautiful.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    Probably glossy as the matte screens usually have terrible colors.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Nah. As long at it works nicely, I'm happy.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Probably before mid-2019. Yeah, it's quite a long shot, but I want to understand the ultrabook market first.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    A very long time.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    If possible, a 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD would be amazing, but it's like a dream for ultrabook users right now, ain't it ?

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    Get out of here with your 2010 technologies... :D

--

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll take all your answers into account ! :)

Vasudev likes this.
  2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    The Razer Blade Stealth is a very poor device and I would strongly advise against it. The Internal PCB design is horrible, the build quality is so poor that people have literally engraved the heatsink and warped it with their fingernails and the quality control and customer support from Razer is practically the worst in the industry and ranked below every other manufacturer in our forum's lists.

As for upcoming technology, Ryzen Mobile is coming very soon and is looking very promising for performance and efficiency (initial reviews point to the R5 2500U having better thermals than the i5 8250U), though not as good as Intel for battery life.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Gigabyte aero 14/15 would be natural choice but it crosses your budget. Another option, EVGA SC17, a 17.3" monster with a thin and light profile and doesn't look like Gamer PCs.
    I think @sicily428 can give a bunch of models from Clevo PC reseller in France.
    I'd say 15" with couple of M.2 and 2.5" SATA slots will fit your line of work and you can isolate your work related stuffs from personal stuffs because there are more HDD/SSD slots available in Clevo, 2 M.2 Slots along with 2 2.5" is a deal breaker. But, one problem is portability.

sicily428 likes this.
  4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Those are all pretty massive. OP is looking for a 13" device.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  6. Solomai

Solomai Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, more than 14" is completely impossible, as I am looking for something to carry around in a backpack most of the time, and most of the references you gave here (Clevos 14" and Gygabyte Aero 14") are close to 2kg, which is a bit too much for me, I don't think I want to carry something that's around 2kg. I did for a while, and all it did was hurting my back way too much. :D

But is the Blade Stealth really that bad ? I know about the QA problems (which is why I wouldn't buy it directly from them), but most of the comments I see about it say its build quality is amazing...

7. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    Most reviewers see aluminium chassis and automatically think it's good. Ask @pbhenry3 about the Stealth. His whole business is fixing predominantly Razer laptops and I've seen him tell people to stay far away from the Blade Stealth models.

To be fair, we've also seen Louis Rossmann destroy the Razer BS heatsink with his fingernail - that should NOT be possible with ANY heatsink. He tried to do the same to other laptop heatsinks and none were that fragile that they would distort from a fingernail being put on them. I guess that explains why the Stealth overheats as well. And Razer apparently think running at 100*C during web browsing is fine: Read here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...hould-not-hit-100c-regardless-of-task/?page=2

Edit: That person from the link also had screws fall out by themselves, charger problems, multiple BSODs and etc.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. hb720x

hb720x Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Perhaps the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon or X1 Yoga, which are very light and have excellent keyboards. The WQHD screen upgrade on the X1 Carbon 5th Gen has gotten a good review from Notebookcheck. It has a 14 inch screen but very thin bezels. However, there are no quad core ulv options right now, as Lenovo's Thinkpad line updates things later compared to Lenovo's other brands.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What about Thinkpads E or T series? Generally prefer T series.
    @Solomai You need to find some trade-offs. Either you need to choose performance(ugly design but does the job perfectly) or beauty/thin-lappies.
    You can PM @pbhenry3 to get an overall rating of Razer lappies based on his personal experience.

don_svetlio likes this.
  10. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    E series are low end. T series are great, though.

Vasudev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.