Looking for a thinner laptop w/dGPU

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Mastermind5200, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    As little as possible, max would be around ~$2400 after taxes, trying to spend around $1800 after taxes or less ideally, the XPS 9500 is currently ~$1462 for the base config with 1650 Ti which is perfect essentially.
    I ideally want something with USB-C charging, it is almost a necessity for me.
    2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Min 13",15- 17" is fine preferred
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Apple, Razer, Dell/AW
    b. Dislike: HP, Acer, MSI, Asus,
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Mainly school work/web browsing, on occasion playing games such as MC, BOCW, MW2019, and other random titles

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Will mainly be used at a desk, but good battery life is a necessity (if the lockdown ever lets up)

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes, not often but needs to be able to run BOCW decently well, Minecraft
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    5+ minimum

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Would prefer to get a feel for the keyboard/trackpad and overall build quality

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    I personally prefer MacOS, but obviously it can't do a majority of the tasks I do outside of web browsing.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080P min, 120Hz+ is preferred but not a huge deal.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Don't care, matte preferred but it doesn't bother me at the end of the day

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    I can stomach something like the m15 r3's design to an extent, it looks hideous but if its cheap enough I wouldn't mind it. Realistically prefer the design of the newer MBP's and the XPS 9700/9500

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    512GB minimum if soldered, any if M.2 and upgradable

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Probably around the end of the year for the Christmas sales.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    A year minimum+, hopefully 2+

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    I have many backups that are barebones enough to do the neediest of tasks, so technically indefinitely, but realistically not longer than a week or two.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Not too much more, would only get it if it was included or $50+ extra, I don't mind shipping in my laptop as long as the RMA is speedy enough where I have it by the end of 2 weeks time.

Now that that's done, let me launch into my thoughts and ideas.
    I have been looking at many laptops, with a couple of them in my head I've narrowed it down.
    -MBP 2019 16"
    This is the ideal solution, it does what I want perfectly, has a pretty decent keyboard, I love the OS and the trackpad.
    The downsides are that it is VERY pricey, it is nearing the top of the list of laptops I have stated above, it has zero upgrade path outside of TB3 attached storage, and the performance per dollar is relatively lackluster, assuming you can get it to perform due to its very odd behavior in windows.

-Razer Blade Stealth 13"
    Wasn't really more than a passing thought, its pretty cool for what it is, and does fit most of my requirements, as well as benefitting from very good GPU performance, but the small sized and soldered ram is off putting, I can handle a machine having soldered RAM if its a MBP, but for its price point I'd rather go with the-

-XPS 15" 9500
    Again, this fits everything I could possibly want, there are essentially no downsides aside from no 120Hz, this is probably what I will end up going with realistically.

-XPS 17" 9700
    Better version of below, but its far pricier and I frankly don't know if I can justify the price increase. It is the ideal purchase out of anything here, but it costs more than even the MBP 16" on refurb

Just wondering if theres any laptops I've missed, ideally needs to have USB-C charging (doesn't have to run at full power over it, just like it as a option to have)If it has a dGPU, needs to be a 1650 level or faster, but I don't need much more than the 2060MQ in the XPS 17.