Looking for a thin & light as desktop replacement.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by KetchupNinja, Jun 6, 2019.

1. KetchupNinja

KetchupNinja Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all,

I'm basically looking for a thin and light laptop that will be replacing a desktop PC as my main. I don't have a whole lot of time to game anymore, but I still would like to when I can. Other than using the laptop at uni, I do travel every week to meet up with friends for some LAN and D&D action. Otherwise, the laptop will be sitting on my desk, hooked up to a dock and monitor.

I'm looking for something with:

At least a 1080p 100hz refresh rate w/ G-Sync
    Dual channel memory config
    At least 2 storage options
    TB3 (PCIE 4x support)

So far, I'm interested in the:

• Acer Predator Triton 500 w/ 2080 MQ - Currently $2049
    • Asus GX 701 w/ Full RTX 2070 - Currently $2399
    • Asus GX502 (Not yet released) - Speculated price $2399

What's making this decision more difficult for me is that I purchased the Asus GM501 with a full gtx 1070 for about $1150:

https://www.amazon.com/Zephyrus-GM5...ds=asus+gm501&qid=1559792766&s=gateway&sr=8-1

The value of this laptop is just too good to me. Most of the RTX models do perform better, but I personally don't believe the extra $800-1000 is worth the small performance increase. The only issue I have with this particular laptop is that the battery life is abysmal, even when switching to the Intel GPU. The Zephyrus line also isn't great for docking as the lid has to be opened at all times to allow for cooling.

Any opinions/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2. seamon

seamon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a GX501 with core i7 7700HQ and GTX 1080 MaxQ, I just upgraded to Acer Triton 500 with 2080 MaxQ.

First of all, the Asus Zephyrus lineup have ridiculously low battery lives, my main reason for upgrading was pretty much this. Also the Keyboard is hot garbage and the mousepad unusable.

I needed a light laptop so I was mostly looking at laptops near ~2kg. I was looking at this, MSI GS65, Acer Aero 15 X/Y9 and Razer Blade 2080. I went with Triton 500 because of the price, one of the best thermals and keyboard.