Looking for a Thin 15" Gaming laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by KratosX7, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KratosX7

KratosX7 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    mySN.eu | XMG | Schenker Technologies - XMG C504 15.6" Notebook They have that cooling system. I have no idea if it's anything but wouldn't they give an option to upgrade to gtx 870m if isn't capable of handling it?

What will happen if it runs on a 870m? It gets hot? But besides that? Nothing special? I btw have an external cooler.

Power And Heat - GeForce GTX 880M, 870M, And 860M: Mobile GPUs, Tested The difference in GPU load is 17 degrees

The Razer Blade is also very thin and has a 870m

2. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    If it gets hot, it will throttle eventually. The lifespan can be expected to be lower as well, excessive heat is not good for components. An external cooler will help, but it really depends on the laptop how much it will help. The Razer has the same issue.
    The comparison you link does use a high end laptop with far beefier cooling than you can possibly get in a thin laptop. There is a far more significant difference in heat output if you compare the newer Maxwell 860m and older tech Kepler 870m.

3. PuNkMaN

PuNkMaN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    With the 870m in anything thin, you'll experience throttling. Whether it's undervolting and downclocking, or letting it run until it throttles, you won't be able to get it's stock performance out of it. If you want thin, go for a 860m. With the 24/7 overclock I use on my 860m I'm sitting near the stock performance of a 870m anyways, depending on what I'm doing.

4. KratosX7

Reputations:
    Thanks for the insight. The MSI GS60 with a 870m also has this issue? Also what program do you use to overclock your gpu 24/7?

5. PuNkMaN

PuNkMaN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use Nvidia Inspector for my NP7358 and EVGA Precision for my M18xR2. Yes the GS60 with a 870m will definitely face throttling.

6. KratosX7

Reputations:
    I just emailed MySN and they told me that in the C504 it's a Keppler version of the 860m while in the C404 it's the Maxwell version. Should I still go for the 860m? I don't understand why they won't put a maxwell version into the C504?

7. Cellular-Decay

Cellular-Decay Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The MSI overheats with the 860M! Read the owners thread here. Lots of complaints about heat and loud fans.

The 2014 Razer Blade also runs quite hot. One reviewer said the area of the palm rest got wrist burning hot under heavy gaming loads.

Technology just hasn't quite got to the level that thin-n-light and gaming play well together. You really should consider a heavier notebook. But if you MUST have thin and light, the Gigabyte P34G/P35G series are probably the best out now. I would recommend the 14" P34G v2, since it has the Maxwell tech 860M GPU. I've heard the P35G v2 has a Kepler 860M, but I'm not certain if that's true or not.

EDIT: Just noticed the message above. It seems you were told the same thing. The reason is likely the form factor of the chip used. The Maxwell parts are solder in (non-upgradable), while the GPU on a changeable card would be Kepler. That would lead me to believe the P35G has a GPU slot, while the smaller P34G has soldered components.

Again, not 100% certain on that, but I do know that all of the Maxwell parts are solder in. Nothing with an upgradable GPU will be Maxwell.

8. KratosX7

Reputations:
    Do the Maxwell and Kepler 860m both use the same slot on the motherboard (just that the gpu in the 860 is solder)? Or do you need an entire different motherboard with a different slot for the Maxwell version? Cuz I've send a mail to mysn asking them if it's possible to get a 860m Maxwell version in the XMG C504. Don't know if that's a dumb thing to ask haha

If it's not possible I am either get the 870m or purchase the C404 which does have Maxwell.

9. Tmets

Tmets De-evolving to Amoeba

Reputations:
    Nvidia and AMD do not sell GPUs on mxm cards. They are made by various manufacturers who use them in their laptops. There are no thin laptops with mxm, it takes up significantly more space than just soldering it directly.
    I can't see of any technical reason why any dGPU can't be mounted on mxm. There is no point with lower end GPUs, it just increases the size and cost of the laptop. The 860m is a strange one. As the only gaming laptops to have mxm are the high end ones, the more mid range 860m is used as just a base GPU. I would assume the older Kepler version is cheaper, and as there is no issue dealing with the extra heat over the Maxwell version, they just use the Kepler.
    Neither the P34 or P25 have mxm clearly, it wouldn't fit. They both use soldered GPUs. Just as there is no reason you couldn't mount any GPU on mxm, there is no reason you couldn't solder it. Just because it's soldered does not mean it's Maxwell.

10. Cellular-Decay

Cellular-Decay Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It is highly unlikely the 2 parts are interchangeable. They are probably not pin compatible. If they were then the Kepler part would make no sense.

Manufacturing is a volume business. It costs more to make 2 different parts than it does to just make more of a single part. The only logical reason I can see for Nvidia to make 2 versions of the 860M would be that the Maxwell and Kepler parts are not pin compatible, and they wanted an 860 part that was compatible with the existing notebook GPU card standard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.