Looking for a survivable-in-any-situation ultraportable

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by OverTallman, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schdrag

schdrag Guest

Reputations:
    The HP 2560p with i7 2620 is too noisy, to me it's a design mistake, that there are hardly any openings for the cpu cooler (same design as 2570p). And it's heavy. Two out of three usb plugs are on the backside, but you could add a usb 3.0 express card. However it looks like a very solid machine!

2. OverTallman

OverTallman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's rather strange as mine is silent while idling, maybe it's time to reapply the thermal paste?
    The fan does kick off once the CPU is loaded but so do other laptops, my D420 is even noisier.
    USB ports are an issue though, especially when I have to plug in a USB sound card to get music out of it.
    Still a good purchase to me, and I believe 2560p should do the trick as well.

3. schdrag

schdrag Guest

Reputations:
    Hi OverTallman
    Yes the paste is old for sure (business use for about 4-5 years). I have now removed the fan and it works fanless (surfing the web, Rightmark ppm panel, minimum cores 5% setting < 5 Watt on windows 10, intel ssd 160gb), eneergy setting in windows 10: minimum power 5%. The door is removed at the present and the laptop is on the docking station, so the cooling is ok (CPU 60 degrees Celsius, the other sensors about 50 degrees). The 2560p feels very solid and you could buy a express card with two usb 3 plugs, which would solve the backside connection issue.

4. Krowe

Krowe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is... not a good idea... Going without a fan is risky business even with a windows power limit (windows does have builtin overrides which negates that settings under certain conditions, HWMonitor routinely tells me that I've hit max turbo even when I've set the limit at 10% max in power settings). The blower style fan on Elitebooks are quite powerful, as long as there are vents somewhere along the bottom (which there is a large strip of it on the bottom access panel), it is sufficient to create the pressure needed to draw in fresh air (its not as efficient or quite as a directly vented fan, but its good enough for most usage scenarios).

Kent T and Starlight5 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.