Looking for a secondary laptop for college

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Panda Bear, Jan 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Panda Bear

Panda Bear Newbie

Reputations:
    START COPY
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

Prefer nothing over $800

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Netbook; 10" screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

Maybe an Ultraportable, I'd prefer nothing too over 12"

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

Online (Amazon most likely), USA.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Lenovo, Asus, Acer
    b. Dislike: Dell, Hp

I currently have a Mac but it's driving me crazy to have to use those OS environments on it for programming

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Web browsing, writing papers, programming, taking notes w/ stylus

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

I'll be taking it mostly to school

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

At least 8 hours

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

It would be nice to be able to take a look at them but it's not a must

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

If I could get 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 that would be awesome but not a deal breaker if it's lower

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Matte is preferable, but again it's not a deal breaker

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No, but it's a plus

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Asap

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

A couple of years at least

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

I definitely want an SSD, 256GB would be awesome but I don't mind settling for less if the price is right

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

Not really

==========
    END COPY

I'm pretty familiar with computers, I have a custom built gaming PC at home and an older Macbook pro (the OS environments are driving me crazy, they're slow and take up a lot of memory). I basically would like a portable windows machine that I can kinda toss in my backpack/purse, program on, and is also compatible with a decent stylus to take written notes in class.

I have been looking at some Lenovos like this one but I've never owned any personally so if someone could give me some advice/suggestions I'd really appreciate it!

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have a look at the acer swtich Alpha series. Should be something in that lineup that would suit your needs. I like them alot. Sort of an affordable surface type device.

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Just so you know, this will likely be at odds with your desire to have a pen for note taking, due to the glass used for the touch surface, which is reflective.