Looking for a replacement for my beloved Samsung Series 7 700G7C

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Rathbone, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Rathbone

Rathbone Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    £1,000 - £2,000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    I'll buy online so anywhere that ships, ideally with delivery to Spain, but if I have to collect it from the UK it can be done. UK keyboard layout is essential.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: I love my Samsung
    b. Dislike: HP

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Website design/maintenance, file transfers, running bitcoin core plus other cryptos, video streaming, all the usual internet, documents, spreadsheets stuff

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Leaving it on my desk. If it leaves my desk it might happen two or three times in its lifetime.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Highly unlikely but, as evidenced by my current computer, I tend to home in on gamer hardware because I know that gamers have the best stuff ;) I love speed, power and multitasking. Everything I do has to run concurrently.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    n/a

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I intend to buy online so a photo or two is good.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    I've been using Windows 7 but my next computer will run at least two Linux distros (Manjaro and Mint), eventually more, alongside Windows. The less I can have to do with Windows 10 the better.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    1080p, full HD, maximum.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    I don't think I have a keen preference. I can't stand bright lighting anyway so my computer is positioned in the darkest corner of my room.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    I do like to have a cool-looking computer with stylish backlights!

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Depending how long my Samsung holds out, tomorrow - 6 months.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    4 years +

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    minimum 1TB, I have 2x750GB right now. There should be at least one SSD drive.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    Yes, at least DVD burner. Blu-ray would be great but I don't need to burn Blu-Ray.

==========

My requirements might sound like I should be easily and cheaply satisfied but I spend most of my life sitting at my computer and I consider it an extension of my body, so I want the highest spec, most awesome beast I can afford. I am terribly impatient and frequently have everything running all at once, so high performance is a must. My experience is mostly with Windows up to Windows 7 (I've handled W10 and hate it with a passion) and I know that Linux will be far less demanding on resources, for example while I need 16GB RAM on Windows, 8GB might serve me very well on Linux. I'd still like 16GB though because I'm a believer in future-proofing. I want to retire my computer because I've worn it out, not because its spec is no longer up to the task.

I do love the look of the Alienware 17 but that's the absolute outer edge of my budget and maybe there's better for what I want.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this! I look forward to your suggestions!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. Rathbone

Rathbone Newbie

Reputations:
    I also welcome suggestions and recommendations to adjust my requirements. I have never had to buy a computer with Linux in mind before so any advice is appreciated. I've been advised to avoid dedicated graphics and stick with onboard to help it play nicely with Linux. Is this the case?

3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations: