Looking for a Quality Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Peaches_9, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Peaches_9

Peaches_9 Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?

Up to about $2500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Open to suggestions
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Gaming, browsing, software development

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Usually leaving it home, will probably travel with it ~once a month

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

Yes - MOBA, RTS, some RPG (Heroes of the Storm, Starcraft II, Assassin's Creed)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    4-5 should be enough

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

I'd like to test the keyboard and check the construction, but I don't necessarily have to.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

High def (1080 or higher).

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

Probably glossy, not certain.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not very

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

256+ GB SSD

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

Within a month

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

3-4 years?

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

A couple days. I have a work laptop and may still have my current laptop as well.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

No, don't need on-site.

EXTRA INFO

I'm looking for a high end gaming laptop to replace my Dell XPS 15. I do a lot of gaming on my couch (mostly MOBA and RTS). While these aren't particularly demanding, I'd like a machine which can also handle future heavy games, since I'm not sure what I'll be playing going forward. I've been looking at the MSI GS65 and Razer Blade so far, but I'm open to other options. One thing I'm specifically concerned about is thermals: My XPS has good specs, but it reaches very high temps (>90 c) very fast, and proceeds to throttle heavily, making games unplayable. Undervolting helps this a good deal, but I still need to carefully monitor the load (low graphics settings + few tasks) to keep it from throttling. I'd like a laptop where I don't have to worry about this (i.e. one which can keep Chrome open while gaming). While the two I mentioned above are quite powerful, I've heard that a thicker machine may handle the load better. I have a decent amount of experience with computers, but I'm not a hardware expert. Thanks for any help!

EDIT: one thing I forgot to mention: I'd prefer a keyboard without a number pad. For me, it just feels like wasted space and makes typing feel off-center.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Alan Wills likes this.
  2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Custom Built MSI GT63 8RG TITAN-046 15.6" w/ G-Sync nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

It's slightly above your budget but it has the GTX 1080 so it's more future proof for games

You can get the cheaper version with a GTX 1070 if you want:

Custom Built MSI GT63 8RF TITAN-047 15.6" w/ G-Sync nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

or

Custom Built ASUS ROG Zephyrus M GM501GS-XS74 - 15.6" FHD 144Hz G-Sync w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

In the configuration, choose Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Thermal pads for the best cooling

HIDevolution build quality laptops so you are 100% certain to get a laptop that works perfectly out of the box. They also have lifetime tech support for free.

Email donald@hidevolution.com first telling him which model you're interested in if you want to get the NBR Forum discount

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    skman likes this.
  3. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    If you want something in line with the laptops you already said check out the Asus GM501GS. The Blade and XPS have some serious thermal issues that the GM501GS does not appear to suffer from.

If you can go with something fat the GT63 is a solid option.

4. Peaches_9

Peaches_9 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I did some more research and decided that I'm willing to go for a slightly thicker machine in exchange for better power. This rules out the MSI Stealth and Razer Blade for me. I went back to a local store and looked more closely at the MSI Titan, MSI Raider, and ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR II. I think the Titan is a little large for me TBH. The Asus seems extremely promising, since it's still fairly small but from what I've heard it handles heat much better than the Raider. Also it's not too expensive. I've heard the battery life is bad though, is this true? The only other complaint I have about it is the strange camo pattern. I'm strongly considering buying this one. Would this be best for me?

Thanks again.

5. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What about Gigabyte's Aorus x5 v8 as a compromise between performance and portability?

6. africanleopard

africanleopard Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. Andrey Kurnavin

Andrey Kurnavin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've bought GT63 with 1080 6 days ago. It's awesome and fits in my pack pack and no so heavy

skman likes this.
  8. burning_ac1d

burning_ac1d Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm really fine with my new ROG-GL703VS-ei011t-scar-edition, their 120GHz refresh rate makes my eyes love it and enjoy games as long as I want!
    The main drawback is that these laptops series are too loud, but if you don't worry about noise, it should suit you well! :vbthumbsup:

9. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A Kaby Lake GT63 with a GTX 1080 would fit easily into your budget. An 8th gen MSI GE63 is also worth considering.

10. Alan Wills

Alan Wills Newbie

Reputations:
    nice