Looking for a powerful, silent laptop >5.5lbs / 2.5kg

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Silveria, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Silveria

Silveria Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi! I am looking for a new laptop to replace my old HP Probook. I wish to find a new laptop that is powerful, silent and weights under 5.5 lbs / 2.5 kg. All recommendations and tips are welcome. :)

I have been interested about Dell XPS 15 9570 with i7 and 1050 Ti, and Lenovo Legion Y530 with i7 and 1050 Ti, mostly because these seem to be the silent ones. I wonder is there better options?

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    - 1000 - 2000 euros (1 168 - 2 337 dollars)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    - Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    - Finland

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    - Nope.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    - No.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    • Microsoft Office works
    • Adobe Photoshop
    • Adobe Premiere (video editing)
    • Sims 4
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    - Yes, I take it to school with me.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    - Sims 4

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    - Battery life does not matter to me.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    - I could buy a notebook online without seeing it before that.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    - Windows.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    - High resolution, 1080p.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    - It does not matter to me.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    - I would like to have a neutral-looking laptop that does not look too much like a gaming laptop. For example, I don't like the design of Lenovo Legion Y520, but Lenovo Legion Y530 looks good to me.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    - I would like to have 512 GB SSD. I am worried if 256 GB is enough for my programs and files. Now my current 128 GB SSD is full mostly of programs.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    - As soon as possible! :)

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    - I hope it will last at least five years.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    - I have to get my school works done! Two weeks.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    - No, I would not be willing to pay extra for on-site warranty.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  2. gnlu26

gnlu26 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What do you define as silent? Does the machine need to be silent while playing sims 4 at max settings, or only be silent while running MS Word or browsing the web?

EDIT: Also, you can check out notebookcheck, as they have very thorough reviews with noise as one of the test cases. Here is a link to Y530, and there is a comparison to the XPS15 as well.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...-Ti-Laptop-Review.317420.0.html#toc-emissions

Both machines are going to be pretty quiet compared to gaming laptops, so they seem to match your requirements very well. If I had to pick one it would be the XPS because I'm a sucker for that line, and so far I don't know much about the new Legion lineup. In the past, Dell quality and customer support has far surpassed what Lenovo can offer.

Silveria likes this.
  3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

Powerful and silent are somewhat subjective. Unfortunately, I don't have much information on noise levels, except what you can read in reviews. However judging from what you wrote, you are looking for a laptop with preferably a 4K resolution, 80% sRGB minimum, LED IPS display, quad-core processor and some form of a dedicated video card.

So I tried to find something for you using my search tool and this is what I was able to find: noteb search results. Mind you, prices for Europe are not very accurate, more like estimates.
    One laptop that is missing from the list is the XPS 15 because, with the 4K display, it goes way out of your budget, but it might work for you if you opt for the FHD display.

If you can find it in Finland and afford it, I would recommend the Lenovo Thinkpad T580 with the MX150. It's a business grade machine that should work very well for your needs. Otherwise, you could go for the new Yoga 730-15. Both of these machines are as you described, "powerful and silent".

You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

Silveria likes this.