Looking for a powerful gaming laptop under $2000 (At least GTX 1070 graphics)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Techdude594, Jan 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techdude594

Techdude594 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, this is my first post on these forums. I've heard great things about these forums, and was looking to get some advice from you guys. I'm about to purchase my first gaming laptop, so I figured that you guys were the best place to come for advice!

General Questions

1) What is your budget? >$2000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

17" screen, but I can live with 15" as well. (I am a college student, but I am no stranger to carrying around 40lbs of weight in my backpack, and I do prefer 17" laptops)

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? United States

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Dell G-series, MSI, pretty much any brand who uses Tong Fang/Clevo chassis, ASUS, Acer
    b. Dislike: Razer, Alienware, Apple
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Heavy gaming and general college tasks like note-taking.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? I will be taking this laptop with me to college, but as I stated above, weight isn't a big deal for me. As long as it isn't 10 pounds and 2 inches thick, I can manage.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes, I will be playing a wide variety of games. Many AAA titles such as GTA V, Witcher III, Tomb Raider series, etc. I will also be playing indies and will be emulating some games as well.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Doesn't matter. I will carry the power brick with me.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Buying online is fine, I just want to know what kind of thermals I am getting beforehand.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? 1080p or 1440p

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? Matte coating.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? No. I don't mind a red and black machine.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 256GB is fine for now. I would upgrade in the future.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Early 2019.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? At least 3 years.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? I could wait a few weeks, I have other laptops that I could use for college work exclusively, but cannot play games on.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? I wouldn't mind waiting a week or more to receive my laptop. I wouldn't pay significantly more for warranty (not sure if I should, is warranty a good idea?)

Other notes: Minimum specs I am looking for are: i7 8750H, at least a GTX 1070 (non max-q), or an RTX 2070 (non max-q). RAM and storage aren't a big deal, so long as they can be upgraded. I am also looking for a 17" high refresh rate panel. G-SYNC is not necessary, but if I could purchase a laptop with G-SYNC, that would be preferable, as I don't care for battery life that much. Thanks so much guys!

**EDIT**

I have found three laptops that fit my budget, but I am having trouble deciding which ones I should get. If I could get some feedback, that would be greatly appreciated. :)

The three laptops are: Acer Predator Helios 500, Asus GX501GI-XS74 (ROG Zephyrus) (2018 refresh), and the Eluktronics Mech-17 G2 (it's that well known Tong Fang GK7CN6S)

All three of these laptops seem to cover most, if not all of my criteria. But I'd like to know if there is anything I should watch out for when purchasing one of these laptops. Especially the Rog Zephyrus GX501. I've looked at the thread here on Notebookreview forums and seen many horror stories regarding the battery expanding and bending the chassis, and very poor thermals. Are these issues widespread enough to be of concern, or is this still a good buy? (If you are wondering why this laptop is within my budget, it's because there is a listing of this model on Slickdeals for $1650, on eBay)

I'd really like to narrow it down if possible, these three laptops seem like great options for my budget, but I want to know if there's anything to look out for. I forgot to mention this in my OP, but thermals are quite important to me as well. I'd rather not have to repaste my new laptop, as I am not terribly familiar with opening up laptops, only desktops. Undervolting would be fine though.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    gs75 is a good option. its pretty hard to beat it

Techdude594 likes this.
  3. donotwant

donotwant Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    GS75 even with the 2060 is like $2100
    Possibly for best performance with the new RTX cards would be Asus ROG Strix Scar II GL704GW that has an RTX2070 (it is not a max-q) and it’s $1999 (I think this was the cheapest 2070 I saw) so it’s your only option for a full 2070 that’s under $2000

But if you are looking for a deal you can go with last year 1070 laptops, they will have the same CPU as the current RTX laptops, but should be on sale because they want to get rid of stock

Do you have a preference if you want an 1070 (will be cheaper) or 2070 (spend your budget)?

Side note I beleave both Asus and MSI have a 1 year accidental “oops” damage warranty for one claim on top of the regular warranty for free as long as you register or something like that

Btw screens with 144hz don’t need gsync as much

Techdude594 likes this.
  4. donotwant

donotwant Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Here’s a video about it and you can see the internals as well

Techdude594 likes this.
  5. Techdude594

Reputations:
    Out of my budget range, and I've heard that the 2060 performs similarly to a 1070 max-q. Unfortunately not what I am looking for.

6. donotwant

donotwant Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    so what about the Asus ROG Strix Scar II GL704GW? its a full RTX 2070

Techdude594 likes this.
  7. Techdude594

Reputations:
    Either GPU is fine, but if the 2070 is a significant jump up, then I'd prefer it (not enough benchmarks out there to definitely say that yet). I did not know that Asus and MSI had accidental warranty, that's pretty decent. The Asus GL704GW looks like a nice machine, but I've heard that other laptops in the Strix Scar line have had power limit throttling issues in the past. I may be misinformed, but should I be worried?

One other thing: I have found three laptops that fit my budget, but I am having trouble deciding which ones I should get. If I could get some feedback, that would be greatly appreciated. :)

The three laptops are: Acer Predator Helios 500, Asus GX501GI-XS74 (ROG Zephyrus) (2018 refresh), and the Eluktronics Mech-17 G2 (it's that well known Tong Fang GK7CN6S)

All three of these laptops seem to cover most, if not all of my criteria. But I'd like to know if there is anything I should watch out for when purchasing one of these laptops. Especially the Rog Zephyrus GX501. I've looked at the thread here on Notebookreview forums and seen many horror stories regarding the battery expanding and bending the chassis, and very poor thermals. Are these issues widespread enough to be of concern, or is this still a good buy? (If you are wondering why this laptop is within my budget, it's because there is a listing of this model on Slickdeals for $1650, on eBay)

I'd really like to narrow it down if possible, these three laptops seem like great options for my budget, but I want to know if there's anything to look out for. I forgot to mention this in my OP, but thermals are quite important to me as well. I'd rather not have to repaste my new laptop, as I am not terribly familiar with opening up laptops, only desktops. Undervolting would be fine though.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I know that you guys have the answers, and this is a place that I can trust. :)

8. Techdude594

Reputations:
    Yeah, that is a laptop to consider. Any complaints that people have had regarding that machine? Or is it too early to tell?

9. donotwant

donotwant Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I would recommend staying away from that ebay one, its definitely refurbished, and probably has only a month or so left on the warranty, if any. if you are talking about this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254041064754

Techdude594 likes this.
  10. Techdude594

Reputations:
    I know that the retailer says that they specialize in refurbished items (refurbforless), but is this really a refurbished product? The listing says new on eBay, and there have been quite a few of these laptops sold from this reseller. Or is this just misleading? Because I definitely wouldn't want to purchase a refurbished model. And yes, that is the listing that I am talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.