Looking for a Photo/Video performance laptop around $3000

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by AdamSupra, Mar 25, 2019.

1. AdamSupra

AdamSupra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    Everything I've looked at for my specs range $3000-4000

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA, Southern California

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    Leaning towards MSI, Sager/Clevos
    b. Dislike:

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Photo/ 4k Cinema Raw Video editing... possibly get into some light gaming but haven't done that in years.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both, move around a lot

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    No plans for that at the moment

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    As much as possible would be nice but understandably going to be low with my performance specs

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    No need to see but a plus if I can I guess

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    At least 1080, 4K would be nice if in budget. But the biggest requirement is IPS level with the highest RGB rating for color accuracy with editing.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Doesn't matter too much to me.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Would love a thinner bezel for sure, maybe not gamer looking but durable.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Looking at a NVME SSD 500gb for OS/programs + 1TB SSD for file editing + 2TB firecuda for storage

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    My current laptop has lasted me 13 years... so awhile. lol

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Well, not too long but if required to ship somewhere for instance would be fine as I have access to a desktop.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Shipping is fine.

Final Thoughts:
    Okay, so I've been in the market for a new laptop build for a few months now. I mainly use my laptop for photo/video editing up to cinema quality 4k resolution. my business partner already has a built desktop we use as well but I am on the move a lot and use my laptop a lot more. I'd say 75% of the time I am near a plug so battery power is not the most important as obviously a workhorse computer won't have. I have searched over every custom laptop builder site and all the option they have already and I believe I have narrowed it down for the most part but wanted to get on here and see what others suggest as well both for computers and builders. Some things I definitely want are as follows: 1. i7-9700k or better, leaning more towards the i9-9900k (not opposed to AMD ryzens either). 2. RTX2700/2800 GPU for future proofing. I could go 1080GTX but at this point why. 3. Samsung M.2 NVMe SSD drives 500gb-1tb with possibly a firecuda drive as well. 4. IPS level monitor for accurate colors. 5. 32gb ram preferable. 6. Good cooling

With all that being said, Sager/clevo 775 platform and MSI stealth/raider platforms seem to have the best options for everything I'm looking for. While Lenova and Alienware have some close contenders but have RAM limitations. Of course Xoticpc seems to have the best prices but I hear a lot of mixed reviews on their service. I could get something close on amazon but they never have the exact specs I am looking for. Have talked to HIDevolution already and has great builds but are pricey for my specs comparatively. Also looked into LPC Digital but have yet to talk to them.
    So what are some suggestions on brands, builds, longevity builds, & reliable builders?
    Also if anyone is a video editer and has some insight on lesser specs I could go with to save money that would still fit my needs, I'm open to suggestions as well!!

2. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I dont believe there is any machine for sale right now that has a desktop cpu and a uhd screen but the clevo model you are looking at.

Now the uhd screen they use is not as good as the one on the alienware m17 which has thr 8th gen laptop cpu

The alienware area 51 Will have a uhd available eventually and be desktop cpu
    You can change the screen on manyaptopls
    Msi titan has uhd with.a 8th gen laptop cpu
    I think personally the screen for photo edditting is a sharp izgo screen so literally buying one online for 150 and installing it yourself

Look into eurocom and ask if they install izgo screens in their version of this clevo

I just want to add that the actual best screen for photo editting and video is this Panasonic
    VVX17P051J00

And it is available it comes from the thinkpad p71
    And I'm researching if it can be used in another machine

In all honesty actually the thinkpad p72 is the ultimate machine for what you are describing I have not tried to configure it under 3200
    It has the best 17 inch screen on a laptop it has a workstation gpu

ok this is a very cursory search

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...IB0wy2TA8f_pfy4PH3RoC8G8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

better deals or better suited could be on lenovo you can get a better gpu better cpu whatever.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2019
    AdamSupra and rlk like this.
  3. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I use a P70 for this purpose and like it. No, the CPU's not as fast (and even the P72 wouldn't be as fast) as a desktop CPU, but it's also not as heavy (nor requires exotic power supplies) as a Clevo 870. When I was spec'ing out my system (about 20 months ago), I found that the Clevo systems cut corners on their 4K screens; they were Pentile-type RGBW displays that are smaller gamut and have artifacts. IIRC Eurocom might have offered better screens, but they're also a lot more expensive.

The Lenovo display might or might not be quite as good as the HP or Dell, but the Lenovo 4K display is fantastic even if not quite 100% AdobeRGB. It's far better than the typical 72% NTSC displays.

I know OP said no refurbs, but I would still urge checking the outlet store (and the Dell outlet store); there are some good deals to be had. One advantage of the Thinkpad P7x over at least the Dell equivalent is that you get 2x2.5" bays to go with 2xM.2 slots; if you find yourself starting to need more storage, you can later add a 4TB or even 8TB SSD (I did have to replace one of my 2TB HDD's for an SSD for more space).

I would also suggest either a pure SSD or HDD for the bulk storage, rather than an SSHD (the Firecuda). The Firecuda has a small (8GB) flash cache, and is a little bit more expensive than the pure HDD Barracuda. That cache might speed up OS or application load times (although 8GB is pretty small even for that), but for bulk image/video storage it will be of no benefit. An SSD would give you better performance, depending upon exactly what you're doing; you can get cheap ones in the $250 range that will do the job.

4. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That's actually pretty out of date no laptops use pentile screens anymore.

Clevo the screen us the same as alienware its an auo ips screen with 400 nits
    Great screen for everything
    But just for photos the 300 nits sharp screen would be better. But not incredibly better

And the Panasonic screen even better it is indeed the best screen

Believe it or bit the Lenovo screen is 200 Adobe rgb

5. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's good to know. I saw some discussion of this recently, so I assumed there are still laptops that use them.

6. AdamSupra

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the info guys. Still narrowing down exactly what I’m going to do. But all this research is helping.

7. AdamSupra

Reputations:
    Well, I think after tons of research I will be joining the Clevo 775 build club this next week. Going with a build from HIDevolution after a lot of talks with Donald who has been great at providing information on all my questions and their warehouse is 20 minutes from me which is a plus.
    Landed on a middle of the road setup for cost/cooling purposes. Going with the 4k screen, i7-9700k, RTX2070, 32gb premium Ram, Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU + GPU, and Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads, just doing a normal HDD drive for OS from them as I can get the NVME drives cheaper on my own and just install those easily (which I will be doing a 512gb Samsung pro for OS and a 1TB one for active editing files, then switch the HDD over to just storage), and just sticking with WIN 10 Home as I don't need the Pro business features.

Pretty excited about this though as I have has the same laptop for 13 years now!!! LOL, so MAJOR upgrade for me at the moment, and will almost be as strong as my desktop.

8. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Check out this nvme 2tb drive on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Rock...2+tb&qid=1554000453&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Literally faster and more reliable in every way than a Samsung 960

The screen you get with a clevo is a very good auo uhd screen 400 nits same as alienware m17 in many ways the best on the market overall.
    I'm going to put it in my new laptop
    For photos the ultimate would be to now put that Panasonic from the thinkpad in it.

Ya you will toss the hdd out no purpose to it even for storage just a waste of power unreliable slow not even useful as back up. You can get 2 tb nvme ssd for 340 for performance
    370 for an hp ex950 2tb literally the fastest ssd tested

And 220 for storage intel 660p 2 tb.

It doesnt even pay to buy a sata ssd it's actually cheaper to get an adapter for a 3rd or 4th 2 tb pcie nvme ssd

9. AdamSupra

Reputations:
    I have some Sabrent accessories but have never read up on their SSDs. Seems like they have decent reviews, however I use almost exclusively Samsung SSDs both in my desktop and on cinema cameras for recording, so I am very use to them and their reliability. Would be a stretch for me to switch to something else other than a 970 pro or the newer Evo Plus versions. But I will do some more research on those and check them out. Thanks for the suggestion!!

10. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The sabrent rocket
    Is marketed by several companies sold exactly the same way it's let's say a Toshiba.
    Sabrent doesnt make it it is a Toshiba with a phison controller.
    Some other companies are selling the sane thing for 400.
    But if you have 400 the hp ex950 is almost the same thing but barely better
    500 for the Samsung at this point is slowrer less reliable
    I have a 256 gb smasung 961 its still fast wouldnt throw it away but putting that same data on a 2tb ssd that is faster and rated to survive 4 times as long is smart
    Bigger is better
    It is like a 970 Evo so non pro in most ways.
    Just a better deal and extremely reliable particularly the larger the ssd gets the more reliable it gets rated

But you got a pretty powerful machine it will be way nore than you need for many years

Its weird I would literally give you a 256 gb samsung 961 if you were here because I don't want to put important stuff on it I want to upgrade.