Looking for a new work and gaming laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Fastidious Reader, Sep 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fastidious Reader

Fastidious Reader Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

About 2300 to 2400 dollars

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

Trying to have something portable so looking towards 15 inch
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

United States

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: GIGABYTE, MSI, Asus, Eluktronics, Clevo
    b. Dislike: Apple
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No as long as they were carrying a full warranty and no screen damage or dead pixels.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Writing and Media Production along with a level of social single player and online gaming.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)l

I'd be looking into Third and First Person Shooters along with RPGs and Adventure games.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Five to Six Hours would work.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

I'd like to see them if possible or at least have a good online demonstration.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

Looking mainly towards a High Resolution: 1080p (1920x1080) screen for that laptop size

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

Matte in general but if the screen is better quality glossy is preferable.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

A solid durable laptop that isn't flashy like with leds and huge decals and badges all over the back.

A good reasonable sounding cooling system. Repaste services would be preferred for better thermals and longevity.

Keyboard with good key feel that will work for six to eight hours of typing.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

About 1tb SSD PCIe NVMe SSD with 32 gb 2666 Ram preferred.

Solid WiFi Card and 5.0 Bluetooth

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

Sometime between September till November

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

Expect to use it for about three to four years.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

Couple of days maybe a week at most with current backup options.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

Warranty provided and serviced by the seller/builder would be preferable. About three years of service preferred.

==========

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

There are a couple of issues to consider before we go into details.

- The Intel 8th Gen Core processors run hot and most laptops throttle with them.

- Depending on the level of gaming, you might go with a GTX 1060 or a GTX 1070, I would consider the GTX 1070 first since your budget allows it.

So I tried to find a laptop with your specs and this is what I got: noteb search results.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

From these laptops, I would only recommend the older Clevo P957HR. The P955ER has serious cooling issues and even with repasting and undervolting it's hard to get the temperatures at bay. The Aero 15X is a similar story and the Asus GL504GS also runs really hot.
    You might also consider the Asus GM501GS, but you will need to go with 16GB of RAM and maybe just 512 SSD to keep with your budget. The advantage of the Asus is the cooling solution.

Finally, another laptop to consider is the MSI GS65, but it too has throttling problems.

3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Since you want more battery life from a gaming/work laptop, then this suits your need perfectly as it has a large 97 wHr battery capacity:

Custom Built Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ FHD Non-touch or 4K UHD Touch nVIDIA GTX 1050Ti and i7-8750H

Then choose the Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D-VNAND SSD in the configurator

Also choose this for the best cooling: Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU + GPU, and Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads on heat sensitive surfaces – BEST PERFORMANCE

HIDevolution does a great job building and assembling machines with extra quality checks so you are sure to receive a laptop that works great out of the box. In addition to Dell's own tech support, you get HIDevolution's life time tech support for free.

If you email donald@hidevolution.com before ordering, you can get the NBR discount

4. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you want battery life and a professional looking chassis, the Aero 15x and MSI's new P65 will be your best bet. The P65 is the 'professional' version of the GS65. It also has a better keyboard compared to the Aero and a less noisy cooling solution. Companies such as HIDevolution offer repaste jobs. Combined with an undervolt of the processor you should have no throttling problems.

If you don't care as much for battery life, go with a Clevo 15inch P751TM1. It's sturdy and performs very well if adequately repasted and undervolted.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  5. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    http://www.eluktronics.com/MECH-15-G2-1P1S32R10P-RTS

Anyone know about these guys? They seem to have a good reputation on Reddit and I've heard their cooling solution works pretty well especially with their cool laboratory liquid ultra repaste option for the cpu

Also their sale option for two 1tb drives and 32 GB of Ram is nice even if the battery is only about 4-5 hours.

Only downside is the 1060 6gb instead of a 1070 max q like others.

6. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Eluktronics are resellers, similar to Sager, XoticPC, HIDEvolution. They mostly sell Clevos and Clevo laptops are generally seen as decent gaming machines (except for the new P955ER). That laptop, in particular, is made by a somewhat new Chinese company. Here are the full specs: Tsinghua Tongfang GK5CN5Z

Right now I don't know anything about Tsinghua, how well they are made and how well they will last in time.

7. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  8. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    So overall how does the TONGFANG compare to similar machines?

Can the other thin and light laptops handle the i7-8750H without choking itself thermally?

9. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    Honest question to this as my second hand can get me by for a bit. Would there be any good reason to wait. Or would things like the current trade situation with China just lead to units becoming higher priced and further out of my budget?

10. Fastidious Reader

Reputations:
    also coming down to it the i7-7700 and i7-8750

Looking to maximise productivity which is more important?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.