Looking for a new set up

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Kamin_Majere, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Kamin_Majere

Kamin_Majere =][= Ordo Hereticus

Reputations:
    OK, so I've been out of the computer game for a hot minute. And my m17X-R1 from like a decade ago is getting long in the tooth. It runs like a champ and I'm going to miss the 1920x1200 screen but it also weighs a ton and not easy to move around when I travel.

I found this and it looks like it should work well, but all the laptops are so small these days i worry about the thermals, have the components just gotten so much better that there doesn't need to be good airflow anymore? halp
    https://www.xoticpc.com/msi-prestige-15-a10sc-011.html

General Questions
    1) What is your budget?

To Infinity and beyond... but the better the deal the better no

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15-17in
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Not particularly, though i need it to be Windows based so apple is out
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    sure

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Super light gaming that is able to be traveled with

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    It will be on desks but it will need to be travel friendly due to baggage weight restriction on helicopters

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes - RTS and 4x Games (Stellaris, Dawn of War, Endless Space 2, Heroes of Might and Magic, Star Craft, Warcraft, City Skylines, SimCity... you know super high end stuff lol)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    As long as it can act as a UPS I'm more than happy because i will have it plugged in 99% of the time when its on

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Either is OK with me

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1920x1200 but as that's no longer an option 1920x1080 (don't really want a 4K screen)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Does not matter either way

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    I'd prefer something clean looking (the alienware has more than enough bling to last a life time)

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    512GB-1TB should be good

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Soon, no real time line

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    well the last one lasted 10 years so that would be pretty nice

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

indefinitely, though I'd probably just buy another

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Shipping is fine

[edited for spelling mistakes]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  2. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you might as well buy the best with a budget like that.

lenovo x1 carbon extreme is the best laptop money can buy for all around performance mixed with portabilty.
    get the qhd screen I think it supports HDR and at the end of the day you will be very happy with it. can't go wrong with it..

basically there are like 1 billion laptops that fit your critera and it's impossible to pin point what you should get but there are a few universal things that people like. screen a nice wide color gamut screen, battery life in a pinch, keyboard, and heat as well as power to do what needs to be done.... the x1 carbon fits the bill and is the highest rated laptop ever aside from dells xps line.

1) lenovo x1 carbon if you plan on gaming alot or might need the extra power
    2) xps15 fhd laptop
    3) msi gs 65

they are leaning to the portable gaming laptop type but they are thin light and have great battery life and top notch screens, I say you can't go wrong with either as iv'e been gaming on pc for over 20 years and reading about technology for decades I say it's just about a good of a guess as anyone else. :p

3. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thermals are still an issue on majority of laptops. If you want to have laptop with good thermals and which can play most games well and do not care about battery - look at Lenovo Y740 models. They sometimes go on sale but even without that their prices are very competitive.

4. Kamin_Majere

Kamin_Majere =][= Ordo Hereticus

Reputations:
    Thanks I'll definitely take a look at the Carbon and the Y740 (didnt even know Lenovo made gaming capable computers lol)

How are the thermals, they both seem seems way over spec'ed to play games that I want overall. I think the most intensive graphics game I even have anymore is Total War: Warhammer. Most of the games I play care more about single core CPU performance. The MSI Prestige stuck out to me because apparently the 10th gen 6 core i7 is able to hit nearly 5ghz on a single core for a short time and apparently is a 25w chip?

But thanks, i'll definitely look into those today

5. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Y740 seem to have good thermals, you can watch some videos on YouTube with reviwers testing it. It has pretty large heatsinks for a compact laptop and large air intakes and exhausts. If you want to save some money - there are models like Y540 but it has smaller heatsinks, so if you care about thermals I would give Y740 a try.