Looking for a new laptop for college/photo editing/gaming (form filled)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by MD2Lyra, Jun 19, 2018.

1. MD2Lyra

MD2Lyra Newbie

Reputations:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A smaller notebook probably works better in class, but a larger one can offer more gaming chops. This is your dilemma.

3. MD2Lyra

MD2Lyra Newbie

Reputations:
    Do you have any specific recommendations or should I continue to narrow it down between the xps and thinkpad

4. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I recommend you this one, it is also the model with the bigger 97WHr battery so the battery would last you much longer:

Custom Built Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ FHD Non-touch nVIDIA GTX 1050Ti and i7-8750H

Email donald@hidevolution.com to get your NBR Discount if you wanna get it a bit cheaper

With HIDevolution, you get awesome quality control to ensure you get a laptop that is tested under all conditions (gaming, stress testing, etc) which would work great out of the box instead of getting from somewhere else, wait, only to receive something that's broken and have to deal with returns and refunds and a lot of waiting in the process.

they also have a myriad of customization options so you can customize it and tailor it for you needs in terms of memory, storage, and even thermal paste choices to keep it cooler

Not only that, but you'll get their lifetime tech support which is way better than Dell's.

5. rlk

rlk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The one other thing I would recommend is to get at least 16 GB RAM and 1TB SSD.

It is possible (unless the memory is soldered down, which is the case with at least some Macs but I'm not sure about others) to start with 1 8GB stick and later expand to 16GB, but you'll lose performance this way since you'll only have one channel of RAM (in essence, a thinner pipe between RAM and CPU). As for disk space, 512GB might seem like a lot at first, but once you fill it up, you'll have to do a lot of cleanup to get it down, which isn't particularly painless in a lot of cases.

6. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You have competing interests - gaming ability vs portability. Either choice will be less desirous in one area or the other. My point being you're probably going to have to decide what's more important before you can decide.

7. MD2Lyra

MD2Lyra Newbie

Reputations:
    probably portability. gaming would be nice but im probably gonna be doing other stuff than sitting in my room on weekends playing games