Looking for a new gaming laptop, 1660 Ti+

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by MadCabbit, Dec 12, 2019.

1. MadCabbit

MadCabbit Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? $1000-1500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    I've generally been looking for 17" notebooks for a larger screen size, but I'm open to 15" for more portability
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Last laptop was an Alienware refurb through the Dell Outlet, I got good support, and generally Dell support seems more favorable than some brands. I've also been looking at Acer or possibly Asus. I'm open to Clevo and Tongfang units from boutiques.
    b. Dislike: I've looked at MSI laptops and Lenovo Legion, but searching around suggests Lenovo has abysmal support and MSI is not much better. I'd rather have a company back you up if something goes wrong.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes, but I'm also considering warranty length. Dell gives you the same warranty as new through their outlet, but Acer only gives 90 days.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Gaming and web browsing when I'm on the go, and dual booting if I feel like booting Linux without having to reboot my desktop.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) I play Final Fantasy XIV the most, with the occasional Steam game, like NieR:Automata or Dragon Quest XI. I generally focus more on RPGs and action games than shooters.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? I'd like to avoid absolutely abysmal battery life, but I'm not expecting much out of a gaming machine. I generally keep a laptop plugged in most of the time.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? I don't really have much access in my area to look around, so buying it sight unseen works as long as I can get more information on it online, and its from a reputable seller.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows. I'll be dual booting, but I can handle that. I can even deal with no OS.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) As much as I'd like a 1440p screen, there aren't that many gaming laptops out at that resolution, so I've been looking through a lot of 1080p laptops, as long as they're 120Hz or 144Hz.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) I'd prefer matte, but I'm open to either.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes, but even a more simplistic look can be aethestic. I feel this is personal taste.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? I'm looking for a laptop that's easily accessable. I can deal with no drives, like some boutiques offer. If I actually decide to use the drive, I'd like at least a 256 GB nvme SSD.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Sometime soon

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? I'm looking for something reliable enough and with decent specs that I might be able to keep it going for at least 5 years or until it can't keep up anymore. Better specs last longer and are part of my consideration.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? Seeing as its a desktop replacement, I can manage. I wouldn't be without a PC. Another reason for getting a laptop is to have a backup PC in case I need to fix my own PC.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? I'm trying to avoid extended/premium warranties, I'm mainly concerned with at least a year warranty that a company will follow up on.

I build my own PCs, so I have no problem getting into a laptop to make changes if I need to. If certain specs are off, like RAM and storage, I have no problem changing or augmenting what it already has.

I also want a laptop with a decent keyboard. I'm not expecting an experience like on my PC with a mechanical keyboard, but I want something that is comfortable to type on. Alienware keyboards generally hold up. A decent screen is important, too, and decent build quality.

I've been scouring deals, trying to find the best value, but the main reason for this is to see what laptops out there now people love, and also which companies I can actually trust, since like I said above, googling Lenovo or MSI's RMA process leaves me hesitant to go with them.

I'm also considering some of the boutiques for Clevo and Tongfang units, but there's less information out there for specifics on these models. I almost decided to go with a Eluktronics unit, but googling their support indicates it's also a pain trying to deal with them for issues. I've heard good things aboutHIDevolution.

I find myself bouncing back and forth from Alienware refurbs (waiting for something to catch my eye), to sales on Acer Predators, and HIDevolution's EVOC 16GK5.

I'm focusing on laptops with a core i7 and at least a 1660 Ti, but some sales on 2070s dip down low enough to tempt me.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Dell has its own gaming notebooks, did you consider those? The Dell G7 15 comes to mind.

I was going to suggest the Lenovo Legion Y545, but if Lenovo's RMA isn't what you want then best stick to Dell.

HP also has its Omen 15 and 17 series laptops that should be in your price range.

Charles