Looking for a new desktop replacement

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by paulofeg, Mar 8, 2021.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Rumors about Ampere were that it was supposed to be twice as fast as Turing.

wikileaker likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan Jokebook's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on Filthy

Reputations:
    Yep, 3080 was meant as twice as fast as 2080. Or 60% faster than the RTX 2080 Ti:) Is it magic? Or can it be a Hype (scam) once again? https://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidi...d-Big-Navi-a-hard-target-to-hit.492276.0.html

As a reminder...
    RTX 3080 trumps 2080ti by a whopping margin

From Nvidia's blog https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2020/09/01/nvidia-ceo-geforce-rtx-30-series-gpus/

"The GeForce RTX 30 Series, NVIDIA’s second-generation RTX GPUs, deliver up to 2x the performance and 1.9x the power efficiency over previous-generation GPUs"

2x the performance = twice as fast:D

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  3. wikileaker

wikileaker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well thats true :D it mostly has been 30-40
    % increace in performance between generations. And even less in cpus

etern4l likes this.
  4. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'd say the GE76 is just better value right now.

3080 has practically the same performance as in the X170KM
    11800H is actually a great laptop CPU and possibly the best offering on that segment at the moment.

X170KM is a lot more money for little more.
    Sure you get a desktop CPU but it's either a hot af 10th gen or a handicapped 11th. Can't get to those juicy Ryzens yet. Can't even get the next intel gen in there as it will have a new socket.
    GPU is a beast in MXM format but has the same TDP as in the best BGA turdbooks. No real performance gains short of marginal wins in benchmarks.
    Buy it if you need the ports. If not just save half your budget and get a GE76, and upgrade sooner.

5. brajesh143

brajesh143 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is this configuration okay ? Will this ryzen 7 cpu be enough to handle RTx 3080 without bottleneck ? Or should I go for ryzen 9 ? What is the watts for this GPU ? And what is the Max watts in other laptops ? How much performance I may lose ?
    Prometheus XVII Ultra Performance 17.3" QHD Gaming Laptop
    3-4 Business Days Windows 10 Home 64-Bit [Default] AMD Ryzen 7 5800H + 16GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 [+$900] 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD + 16GB Samsung DDR4 3200MHz RAM (2 Dimm) Western Digital Black [FREE] ($75 Value! Summer Sale!) None 17.3" QHD 165Hz 100% sRGB IPS-Type Anti-Glare (2560 x 1440) Yes Color Accuracy Delta E < 2 [FREE!] ($35 Value) Black Swarm dbrand® Display Cover with Prometheus icon [FREE] ($24.95 Value) Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut CPU & MasterGel Maker GPU Upgrade (ULTIMATE COOLING) [+$75] 1 Year Eluktronics Warranty
    Update options

Unit price: $2,674.99
    Total: $2,674.99

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Hi. I don't own one and do not have any of the details on the power limits. Maybe someone that owns one can comment or Eluktronics might be able to provide those specs. Brother @B0B do you know? Have you done any testing on this model?

Unless it is a work PC that you are just going to do basic things on, if you can afford it, going for the top CPU and GPU is what I would recommend and do myself. I tend to place more emphasis on performance than value, and going for the highest performance is sometimes a poor value. But, that's what I want and the value proposition doesn't really factor into the decision.

brajesh143 and Papusan like this.
  7. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'd use some caution with any WD SSD/NVME gumstick these days.
    https://hardforum.com/threads/wd-caught-swapping-inferior-nand-in-sn550.2013240/
    I know that refers to a different drive than the black, but if they are willing to hose customers on that drive might they also do it on another ?
    Just some food for thought.
    There are plenty of good drives to be had out there as long as you are prudent in your decision making.
    Of course if it's basically free and you find that it sux you can always swap it out later with no real loss.

brajesh143, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. brajesh143

brajesh143 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you for your inputs...can the cpu and GPU upgradable ?

9. brajesh143

brajesh143 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you for your input which brand shall I choose then ?

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    No, unfortunately not. As the case is will all but one, laptops are now exclusively turdbooks with a disposable motherboard, CPU and GPU soldered to the PCB like a crappy tablet or smartphone. Some even go as far as soldering the RAM and WiFi modules to the motherboard if you can believe that stupid idiotic bull crap. So, you'd be buying a one-shot wonder floating in a cesspool of similar feces deposited by the other brands.

Papusan and brajesh143 like this.