Looking for a long lasting battery

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by seanathon, Jan 9, 2022.

1. seanathon

seanathon Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? 1500 (canadian)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen - also ok
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen - ideally

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? Canada

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike: Apple - need windows
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? - mostly want good battery life, so I worry these would have worse batteries

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? medical charting (cerner), word processing, internet browsing, dictating documents

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? - taking it to different places during the day

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) - No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? - As many as possible, this is my main concern. I would like to make it through a 8-12 hour work day ideally

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? - Happy to buy online

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. - Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) - Doesn't matter really, will be reading text on it

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) - matte ideally, but not deal breaker

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? - nope

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? - not a lot, 512gb, less is probably workable

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? - as soon as I can

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? - 3-4 years ideally

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? I would buy another promptly, I have a backup with worse battery life

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? - shipping is OK0

I am a medical student that just started in the hospital, I have bad carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand so I dictate almost everything I do. Outlets are scarce so I need a laptop with good battery life that I can use for dictation and looking up patient charts etc.

I have been researching this for a few days now and I always find it hard to correlate the exact model I read a review of with what I'm able to find for purchase online (I'm in the frozen north of Canada so maybe this is harder here).

I am currently leaning toward to the Microsoft surface laptop 4 or the ASUS expert book B9450, but this is the only one I can find: https://www.amazon.ca/Expertbook-B9450FA-C53VP-CA-Intel-CoreTM-i5-10310U/dp/B08K1RKC5Q/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2I3W3DEH9CYKJ&keywords=ASUS+expertbook+b9450&qid=1641774082&sprefix=asus+expertbook+b9450,aps,80&sr=8-3

It only has a Intel Core i5-10310U, and the review switching the model with the i7 can still be a bit on the slow side so I am concerned about that. I am also not sure that this is actually the same one that I read reviews about the impressive battery on.

These are also being considered https://deals.dell.com/en-ca/productdetail/cicz

https://www.hp.com/ca-en/shop/produ...ekly-deals&bid=DYN_BUNDLE_0007012_12B92UA_ABL
    Any thoughts? I am very open to suggestions.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The 10310U CPU is built on older technology that isn't going to get good battery life for the power it has. You want something with at least an 11XXGX CPU or AMD Ryzen 5000U series.

Rokobo likes this.
  3. seanathon

seanathon Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the info! I'm typically pretty competent when it comes to desktops, but I'm completely lost with laptops.

I read some reviews of the i7 version and it seem to get quite good battery life, I couldn't find anything but the i-5 though. Is it the i-5 in particular that would have mediocre better life.

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's at the top of your budget in Canada, but the Dell Latitude 7420 is known to get excellent battery life.

5. System0

System0 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The LG Gram series might be what you're looking for. Extremely lightweight and portable and boast great battery life.

6. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Nano might suit your needs. I've had one for nearly a year and while I don't really use it anymore, it does get some pretty nice battery life.