Looking for a laptop with a matte screen, serviceable, robust, with a good PPI.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by cpl593h, Sep 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops MY FRIENDS CALL ME JEFF!

Reputations:
    So, we don't do attributions around here? Ever hear of Fareed Zakaria? Famed Time Magazine editor and esteemed CNN talk show host? Wrote an excellent piece for Time 3 weeks ago, attributing some 20 different ideas to their originators but put down one as if it was his own; it wasn't. He was suspended from Time and CNN for a week. Had to apologize in writing and on air. Or do great minds just think alike and you have the same access to Google Images as I do?

Haha. Just playing. Either I eat crow for making an unfounded allegation or just a petty one. Either way, I'm the fool, but just having fun :D

You are the best, Nando; an NBR treasure.

2. davidt1

davidt1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The OP of that thread ended up carrying the X220 as his main laptop. Here is what he said and the end of his review:

"My take is the x220 isn't years ahead of the 2560p, and whilst it does have cons, it is certainly lighter. The x220 is now the computer I bring everywhere due to weight, but the 2560p isn't a slouch. I wouldn't advise 2560p owners to "trade up" to the x220, unless weight is critical. They are clearly two different laptops, with different priorities."

As far as look goes, it's all subjective. I, for one, don't choose laptops based on look. It's a freaking productivity machine. I choose a laptop based things that make my computing productive, and look is not one of those things.

3. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Apologies. An oversight on my part. I've given the appropriate acknowledgement to you as the source of that image. It's a perfect example to backs up claims of current "90s looking Lenovo Thinkpads". Thank you for your contribution :)

... and then there are users who've posted in WNSIB who flatly refuse to consider Lenovo Thinkpads because of their looks. Is it because they are lacking in sophistication and style? How does that reflect on the owner? I prefer a functional, stylish, reliable and productive Dell Latitude or HP Elitebook over a bland Lenovo Thinkpad. At the other extreme of form versus function, would be interesting to see how Apple Macbook owners view Lenovo Thinkpad styling.

That is why I suggest those interested in Lenovo Thinkpads consider asking for a 10-15% discount over the price of competitor HP/Dell machines. That way Lenovo could pass back the savings they are making from recycling their designs to their customers.

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Isn't that what post #9 did?

5. pianowizard

pianowizard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I do believe that most Elitebooks are stronger than Thinkpads, and "fit and finish" is better than Thinkpads as well. HOWEVER, HP seems to make Elitebooks strong by using ultra thick and bulky material, making all of them much heavier than equivalent Thinkpads.

IMO, a diehard laptop fan ought to care about all aspects of a laptop, including looks, and that's why I am now one of those users who refuse to consider Thinkpads because of their looks. I loved how Thinkpads looked back when they were 4:3 and managed by IBM though, so I owned 45 Thinkpads between 2002 and 2010.

After leaving the Thinkpads, I thought I would move on to the Latitudes because the D620/630/820/830 looked so elegant and professional. The E4200/4300/6400/6500 were a slight downgrade in terms of physical appeal, but were still quite attractive and my current E4200 is one of my favorite laptops of all time (not just for its looks but for other things as well). However, the Latitudes have been getting increasingly ugly after that generation, so there goes my plan of migrating to the Latitudes. You really find the E**30 generation attractive?

Due to the above reasons and others, I am not excited by any of the current Thinkpads, Elitebooks or Latitudes. Currently the only mildly interesting laptop among these brands is the X1 Carbon but its lack of certain features has prevented me from actually considering buying one. I will stick with my E4200 and Toughbook CF-Y7 for now.

6. floe

floe Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Anybody have info on the Probook 6470b/6475b? I can't find ANY reviews. It's available with a HD+ display and A10 which I like for a fantastic budget gaming option. Retails for around $800. I might have to start a thread on this guy.

Good post. Thanks ivintage.

7. Zymphad

Zymphad Zymphad

Reputations:
    I vote for a Lenovo also. They have good options on screens. I noticed video photo wditing and transcoding. I like a good screen to see combing, interlacing and banding personally.
    Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

8. Nico6875

Nico6875 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    for what i understand of your need, you should have a look on dell professionnal range precision m4700. they combine high end matte full hd screen ( even an ips panel which is good if you intend to do soe photo editing), power ( core i5 or i7) and are fully evolutive (you can add plenty of ram, hdd, sdd, etc.)
    they are very robust. they building quality is above average. they compete in the same category as hp elitebook and lenovo and personnaly i find them more configurable ( lots of option)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.