Looking for a laptop with a full keyboard

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Lex1, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Lex1

Lex1 Newbie

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    I would prefer under $2K, but I would go up to $3K to for the right keyboard. I need something with a full keyboard, number pad, and dedicated delete, home, page up, page down, and end keys. Ideally it would also have offset, full-sized arrow keys. I touch type and work in Excel all day at my office. I also work from home a lot and would have a lot of trouble transitioning from the full, wired keyboard at work to most of the cramped and/or oddly laid out laptop keyboards that I am seeing. I currently have a Asus ROG G752VT and like the keyboard layout (here's a pic), but it's failing and it's time to get something new.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    I've only ever had 17" laptop, but I would happily take something smaller if the keyboard was adequate.
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    U.S.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    No preference.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    I prefer new.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Primarily heavy Excel use, including large-scale data manipulation. Maybe some light gaming and streaming movies.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Primarily at my desk, but I would love to find something light enough that I could travel with it easily. My current G752VT is 8.8lb, so anything lighter would feel like an improvement.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Maybe some Hitman/Hitman 2.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    N/A

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I would prefer to be able to see it or a similar model, but I would be fine purchasing sight-unseen, especially if it is returnable.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p (4K would be a bonus)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not really. I currently have an Asus G752VT and find it a bit garish, so I would prefer something simpler/more subtle, but it's not a major factor.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    At least 1TB.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    3+ years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    I have a backup, but I would still have trouble being without my primary laptop.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I would love on-site service and would pay extra for it.

2. DaMafiaGamer

DaMafiaGamer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Msi Gt83 is your best bet for a full size mechanical keyboard will all the gpu power and cpu power to smoke your asus laptop.

It can come in two configs: gtx 1070 sli or gtx 1080 sli. It’s quite a heavy machine with a massive 18.4 inch screen which is 1080p (I see that as a major downside) but otherwise it’s a decent laptop.

Nowadays you can get them for around 2k especially the base 1070 model with a i7 8850h

If you do go with this option be sure to repaste the cpu as it gets quite hot. Cooling for the GPUs is excellent though due to the multiple heatpipes dedicated to heat transfer.

3. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Look at the Dell G5 15 SE. Full keyboard with number pad, 110 FPS, great design. I have not had any issues with any dell I have ever owned. Best part is the price. 1099. I only comes with 8 gb of ram, but it has a 128gb SSD and a 1TB HD. Toss an extra 150 at it for ram, and you have a very nice system for not alot of bank.

4. Lex1

Lex1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I definitely need a physical number pad.

5. Lex1

Lex1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Definitely a contender. I think I had looked at the G7 17" at one point early on, but had ruled it out because of the half-sized arrow keys. The arrow keys have now moved lower down on my list of priorities, so this is back in the running. Do you happen to know if there are any differences in the keyboard between the G5 15" and the G7 17"? From what I can see it looks like the same keyboard with extra space around the sides on the 17", but the pics that I can find online aren't really clear.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Lex, I am not 100% sure either. I know the specs on the device for the cost is great. Even upping the SSD at a later date you still have a killer device until that time.