Looking for a laptop recommendation

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Wrathborne, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    So, indeed you do have to go back to the GE72 to see MSI using IPS Level...but it is better to tell the whole story.

Note that while it says IPS Level in the title at your link, the first paragraph clearly says "The Apache Pro's 17.3-inch full-HD TN display running at an amazing 120Hz and 5ms response time...", which should eliminate any confusion.

Titles don't tell the whole story, you have to read the rest of the description text as well. At that time, IPS-Level screens could not achieve 120Hz~5ms, and during that time period the industry was still evolving with how to describe other than LG IPS screens.

Bottom line is, to suggest that IPS-Level in today's world is a proper way to describe TN screens, is dead wrong.

Let's keep information going out to the general public current, not 'historical'.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. Wrathborne

Wrathborne Newbie

Reputations:
    Wait, if I message Donald from HIDevolution for a generous discount, I could still get one even if I'm a new member here?

3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Yes, if you email Donald@HIDevolution.com he can explain the small Notebookreview discount.

4. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    The point was beyond the Prema bios. I'd still want to see how the units perform before I'd buy one with a new generation of cards like this. New form factors, new heatsinks, new thermals.

MSI also currently mislabels this gen: here here, and here are examples.

Edit: Whoops no they don't.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Those are advertised as IPS-Level screens because...they ARE IPS-Level screens, they are NOT TN

[​IMG]

6. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Hahaha whoops my bad. Forgot they'd still call them IPS level because they're PLS some other similar tech not from LG. Technically I guess that makes them more accurate than most since they aren't brand name IPS. So that was my fault for not looking up what panels they used, I just assumed when they said IPS level it was only used for TNs.

First line still stands and is imo far more important.

7. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @Ultra Male
    As I said before, it's hard to find right now a TN laptop advertised as IPS. Back a year ago, when the 120Hz 3ms displays were far more popular, they often advertised as IPS-Level. MSI had that on their official website
    I intentionally gave you the above link, because it is clear how a TN display is advertised as IPS-level.

Right now I don't think TN displays are often advertised as IPS. But the phrase "IPS-level" immediately popped in my mind the issue I had on noteb one year ago with me trying to figure out if an IPS-level was an IPS or a high-end TN display.

8. amirbahalegharn

amirbahalegharn Notebook Guru

Reputations:

Attached Files:

9. rlk

rlk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One other thing you may need to watch out for -- I don't know if it's still a problem now; it was 18 months ago on a lot of 4K screens -- is Pentile screens. These use fewer subpixels than the full RGB matrix, making for a cheaper display but with possibly worse saturation and sharpness. I don't know whether any laptop vendors are still using these, but it's something to be aware of.

10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    BTW where did the OP disappear after all this screen talk? I think we scared him away :rolleyes:

Blacky likes this.