Looking for a laptop recommendation

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Wrathborne, Jan 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wrathborne

Wrathborne Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    3500-4000 usd

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    No preferences, as long as the laptop doesn't shout "gamer" as i am planning to use it outside
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    considering the fact that i'm getting the latest gpu release(rtx), i don't think i can find a refurbished/redistributed one.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming, Coding, video editing, running some linux OS, probably learning to develop games.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Slower-type games. I'm not into FPS.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    It's always plugged in. Doesn't Matter

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I'm buying the notebook online

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows, Linux

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    3840 x 2160: IPS and G-sync if possible

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte display. Glossy are painful in my eyes

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No, as long as it doesn't look flashy to thieves. I have preferences to Clevo laptop in terms of looks.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    I already have my 1 tb SATA ssd. I'm installing it on my laptop as soon as I get one.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    Until it dies.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    If I can do it myself, why spend then.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Ship the laptop to the vendor for repair.

I stumbled on HIDevolution site and I found this laptop (P775TM-R) but i was not quite sure if the panel they offered in 4k was an IPS/PLS panel. After I borrowed my friend's 4k gsync ips panel just to try it, I don't think I can go back to FHD TN panel. Everything was crisp and sharp.
    Also everyone in this forum seems to rave about Prema Bios. I wonder how different it is from a standard unlocked bios that other sellers offer.

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The RTX series is pretty new, and as of now, we don't know how they will perform.
    We have the laptops with the RTX 2080 in our database, but we are still not showing them up in results due to still ironing out some information on them.

I can show you the current models that have high-end Nvidia cards and come with 4K displays: noteb search.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

Expect that the updated models of MSI GT75, Clevo P775TM, Clevo P870TM and Alienware m17 to come with RTX 2080 and 4K displays. Prices will also be higher compared to current models.
    The 4K displays on the Clevo P series sold by HID are IPS.

Wrathborne likes this.
  3. Wrathborne

Wrathborne Newbie

Reputations:
    That was a fast response, thanks. I think I should wait until the late Feb for those laptop benchmarks results then

Folks in this forums are very helpful. Lots of information to look on. More power to you :vbthumbsup: thanks again.

4. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would recommend you wait until February and see how everything is settled. BTW, you might also find this helpful: https://noteb.com/?content/article.php?/2019/01/08/new-mobile-rtx-cards-vs-gtx/
    Remember these are just estimates, based on benchmarks and regression :D.

5. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    This is your best bet if you want a desktop replacement that doesn't shout gamer:

EVOC High Performance Systems P775TM-R - 17.3" FHD 144Hz / QHD 120Hz / QFHD 60Hz - i5-9600K / i7-9700K / i9-9900K - RTX 2060 / 2070 / 2080

or the beefier:

EVOC High Performance Systems P870TM-R - 17.3" FHD 144Hz / QHD 120Hz / QFHD 60Hz - i5-9600K / i7-9700K / i9-9900K - RTX 2070 / 2080

HIDevolution is a Prema Partner so you will ge the Prema BIOS with it. You see, Clevo laptops with their stock BIOS not only had very limited options in terms of configuring your laptop, overclocking, undervolting, etc. but the main issue is that they would throttle when the system is under heavy load which is the last thing you'd want after spending so much money.

Here are the Prema BIOS Benefits:

• Restores user ability to overclock or underclock the CPU
    • Restores user control over CPU power settings (voltage, watts, amps) for optimal performance and/or thermal efficiency
    • Restores ability to control non-turbo CPU core ratio
    • Restores ability to control CPU c-states and p-states
    • Restores ability to control BCLK (northbridge) and FCLK (System Agent) frequency
    • Restores ability to enable Intel Speed Shift Technology functionality
    • Restores ability to disable Intel Software Guard Extensions (SGX) functionality which is intended for software developers who want to use that feature and causes erratic system behavior
    • Restores ability to control RSR, Watchdog Timer, ASPM, ACPI sleep and hibernation functionality
    • Restores ability to control RAM timings, clock speeds and enables the utilization of XMP profiles
    • Restores ability to control selection of Legacy, UEFI and CSM to install whatever operating system is desired
    • Restores ability to control CPU-based DEP, AES (encryption) and Virtualization
    • Restores ability to control GPU scaling, PCIe speed and power management features
    • Restores control over Thunderbolt and USB 3.1 configuration
    • Restores control over SATA port configuration and Intel LPM. Having the ability to disable drive ports allows exclusive control over what drive receives the BCD/boot sector, system and recovery partitions during Windows Setup and eliminates the need to physically remove non-OS drives when installing a new OS.

Additionally, HIDevolution's build and quality control is top notch so you are sure to get a system that works 100% out of the box. They also offer lifetime free tech support when you buy a laptop from them and their customer service is superb.

When configuring it, make sure to choose Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal pads to mitigate any heat issues and also, remember to email donald@hidevolution.com before you order if you'd like to get the NBR Forum discount.

Papusan likes this.
  6. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    In general I wouldn't recommend buying any RTX laptops until we see how they perform. There are new designs out and it may change what models have been good.

For example (while idk how likely) the Prema bios could have trouble releasing or be late and the MSI GT options or new AW Area 51 could end up being unexpectedly good or something. Until we get some real thermals and benches from these machines it's just speculation.

7. Spartan

Reputations:
    Call @Donald@HIDevolution (562-485-6541 Ext. 44), or in the USA 1-888-666-3418 Ext. 44 to get details. It is my understanding they will be ready to take orders and begin shipping the new RTX cards in all of the Clevo based EVOC High Performance Systems LGA models (P870TM1-R, P775TM-R, P750TM-R), with the Custom Prema BIOS, at 6 AM Pacific Time on January 29th.

"The 4K displays on the Clevo P series sold by HID are IPS". They are IPS-Level screens, not IPS.

IPS (In-Plane-Switching) is trademarked by LG as their screen technology, but Samsung has trademarked PLS (Plane-to-Line Switching) and AU Optronics has trademarked (AHVA) also with very similar technology...none of which are TN screens. They are all totally different technologies than TN, and the IPS, PLS, AHVA or IPS-Level are simply trademarked marketing names for their technology.

LG was first to market with their marketing name of IPS, so it picked up the common moniker. Then when Samsung and AU Optronics introduced their very similar technology, the industry adopted the IPS-Level terminology.

Ever since the 3 companies entered the market with very similar technology, one or the other has been the 'leader' from time to time with the best screen specs (brightness, contrast ratio, refresh rate, response time, sRGB and RGB color ratings, and NTSC color gamut ratings, will eventually determine which company's screen is best in each size and resolution category).

So, the bottom line is, you simply cannot go by IPS, PLS, AHVA, or IPS-Level, you have to determine the model number of the screen, then Google it, to find the detailed specs of the screen to get an idea of what level of quality and performance it has.

The 4K screens used by HID are the AU Optronics B173ZAN01.0. See http://www.panelook.com/B173ZAN01.0_AUO_17.3_LCM_overview_25358.html

400 nits brightness, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 8-bit 16.7M colors, 100% RGB, 60Hz ~ 27ms. Great for photo and video editing...but pretty slow for gaming.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's a bit more complicated than that. Very often IPS-Level is used for high-end TN displays.
    I consider IPS to be AHVA and PLS as well. You are right that from a trademark point of view, IPS is an LG term, but for general public IPS is the same as AHVA and PLS.

9. Spartan

Reputations:
    Anyone who refers to any TN screen as IPS-Level is just dead wrong. They are totally different technologies. You say "Very often IPS-Level is used for high end TN displays". Can you even provide one link to a manufacturer or vendor that is erroneously doing this?

IPS-Level should ONLY be used to describe LG IPS, Samsung PLS, or AU Optronics AHVA, as I previously stated. It should NEVER be used to market a TN screen. Doing so is pure deception.

It is important for you to make this clear so as not to confuse the general public.

10. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The one advertising like that was no other than MSI. They used to advertise all their 120Hz TN displays are IPS-level.
    It's hard to find links on the older models on which they used to do that.
    Managed to find a vendor who took things straight out of MSI's marketing page: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/msi-17-3-120hz-ge72-apache-pro-030-notebook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.