Looking for a laptop for school / Side Slight Gaming would be nice.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by L a u r a, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thanks for filling the form. Welcome.

I don't think you need a gaming notebook. The only reason to look for one of those is if you want to play the latest games and need a dedicated AMD/Nvidia graphics card. These days, the integrated Intel UHD graphics are pretty capable, so you can play some games with them if the occasion calls for it. Just not the latest Call of Duty, Battlefield 5, etc type games.
    Also, for your usage, a U-series Intel CPU like the Core i5-8250U is going to have more performance than you'll need.

I will second the Dell XPS 15 recommendation, it's stylish and of good quality. It'll be at the upper end of your budget. The base model with the Core i5-8300H CPU is plenty fast. It might be more cost-effective to install your own SSD than to buy a configuration from Dell with an SSD. The Crucial MX500 is a great value for M.2 Type-2280 drives.
    The Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (7570) is a good second choice.

P.S. I merged your threads for you, that way we can kind of keep everything together.

Charles

Kent T, 9ac3 and Mastermind5200 like this.
  2. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Also, consider this. You're dependent on this machine to get classwork done. You don't have time for consumer grade phone support, and depot repairs. Get a Dell Latitude with accidental damage coverage, with next business day service, and tech support which is helpful, friendly, and focused on getting you back to work. And which will be solid and reliable when you get to 4 years old.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.