Looking for a high powered machine and don't care about high end graphics

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by spamanon, Jul 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. spamanon

spamanon Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hello,

My Prostar p750dm is now 4 years old and the battery died. I am going to order a new battery, re-paste the CPU, and then give it to my son. That means I am looking for a replacement.

I do scientific computing and want something with an amazing CPU, but I don't need all the graphics that a gamer may care about. I was looking at the Alienware Area 51 with the 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 10900K and the cheapest graphics card they will allow - the RTX 2070 Super. I had a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know of other makers that use this CPU? Pro-star does not. I would like to find a maker with this CPU (or better!) and with a cheaper graphics card, if possible.
    2. Does anyone know if the Alienware will allow full throttling on this CPU? I don't want to end up with more CPU in the box than I am allowed to use.
    3. My old Prostar has a 4k screen with Windows 7 and one of my main complaints about it is that some software has writing or icons that are too small to see. I set the system magnification, of course, but it only works for some software. I have heard that Windows 10 has added the ability to both set the system magnification but also the size of icons and text for individual programs. Does this work well? I enjoy 4k for watching videos and for image processing but I would rather just get 1080 if the issue is not fairly well addressed by now.

Also, is re-pasting the CPU a big chore or is it fairly easy for a fellow who is handy but doesn't have any experience doing this exact job?

Thanks for answering any or all of my questions! Below are my answers to the copy-paste

1) What is your budget? <$6,000

2) What size notebook would you prefer? Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? N/A

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Scientific computation.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? Solitaire

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Meh, I know I won't get more than an hour or so in this class and I am fine with that.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Either way

11) What OS do you prefer? Dual boot Windows and LInux

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? 1080+

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? MAtte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? No. Function>>Style

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 2TB+

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 4-5 Years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? 1 month

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? Depends on specifics.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are quite a few capable gears out there that packs the high-performance heart that u looking for that can do ur job. By looking into AlienWare, i hv no clear idea if u're fallen onto the aesthetic side of attraction or the capabilities side of attraction where the dGPU plays a big part in pushing the price up...

3. spamanon

spamanon Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I do not care at all about aesthetics. I want pure power.

4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    You might consider a Clevo NH58AC with Ryzen 9 3900, or even a Ryzen 9 3950X (running in ECO mode). It should be on par with the i9-10900k and can easily dual boot Windows and Linux. Eventually the Clevo X170SM should be available which would be similar to the Alienware but without most of the drama.

raz8020 and Spartan@HIDevolution like this.
  5. spamanon

spamanon Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah, I have been looking at the official lounge and it seems that my fear was realized: more CPU in the box than they let you use (voltage limit??). Is that the kind of drama you mean?

6. Ed. Yang

Reputations:
    Being a Red Camp Scout Boy, i would suggest that you go for the Ryzen High Performance CPUs that's identifiable thru model references that end with the suffix of H. Next, what you need is a big fat battery that could last you some period of usage without the need to keep your system on the look out for power supply.

It is understandable that in computing, most buyers would lean to Blue Camp Intel CPUs. As most of the benchmarks made in the past shows Intel capabilities in beating AMD CPUs in office works, which includes Excel. Hence, i won't be pushing u too much on going towards the Red Camp CPUs although today, Ryzen Zen3 4000series CPUs seems to had overturn the table which Intel had "crowned" the best for long.

The High Performance CPUs from Intel are also identified thru the suffix at the end on the model references. And there are some which ends with "K", which signifies that the CPU is overclockable.
    High Performance CPUs are often found in gaming makes, and Workstation Replacement targeted makes.
    From Workstation Replacement makes, u should be looking onto models that packs more than 75whr batteries, and CPUs that ends with H or K. From Dell, the Precision range, from Lenovo, the P series ThinkPads, and HP, the Workstation range. With 17inch screen, these systems comes with fat batteries that could come close to 100whr. With Lenovo taking the lead @ 99whr, Dell @ 97whr, HP @ 96whr.
    From the Gaming makes, most of the additional costs often falls on the dGPU, depending on types and range. Battery wise, Dell takes the lead with the max of 99whr in AlienWare, 97whr in both G7, XPS 17, Lenovo Legion 5-17i maxes @ 80whr, and lastly HP Omen 17 @ 70whr.
    Do take note that above systems come with dedicated GPUs that would suck off some power from the batteries, despite that battery capacities can be fatter than typical makes.

For a system that have a fat batt, High Performance CPU without dGPU, there aren't such makes from the big name OEMs yet. However smaller ODM like TongFang which makes barebones for resellers worldwide to rebadge with their marques, had recently came out the biggest screen @ 15inch.
    In America, TongFang makes is rebadged as Eluktronics and CyberPower PC. However, makes without dGPU and packed with fat batt is not available yet.
    From Germany ships worldwide, such model exist only in Red pill, with 91whr battery. But maximum screen size limits @ 15inch, and comes with Ubuntu based OS by default. Dual OS boot available as option.
    https://www.tuxedocomputers.com/en/...s/15-16-inch/TUXEDO-Book-Pulse-15-Gen1.tuxedo

7. spamanon

spamanon Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    According to a chat I just had with Dell, the Alienware area 51m r2 is getting 125W. But that is the same as the TDP for that processor, which is the average power when operating at base frequency.

Does this mean that the processor will not be able to run above base frequency on all cores in that machine, since it would need to run more than 125W?

8. Ed. Yang

Reputations:
    While a CPU TDP relates to the size of the battery... It doesn't really mean that the Whr of the battery guarantees u get 1hr of usage per full charge if the CPU TDP maxes out to 125wtdp. I believe what Dell CSO trying to deliver is the "overclock ability" to consume 125wtdp to reach it's highest boost in performance...
    Remember, no matter how fat a battery can be, the working duration u get is still dependent on system's total power consumption.

9. yosv211

yosv211 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. Ed. Yang

Reputations:
    What TS wants is a capable CPU for scientific calculation. Not a very magnificent graphic generator.
    And he's attracted to out of norm odd designs like AlienWare...it seems...