Looking for a good 17 inch laptop for gaming.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Eskilade2020, May 3, 2019.

1. Eskilade2020

Eskilade2020 Newbie

Reputations:
    =========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $1450-1750

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming and eventually programming.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    I don't plan to move it around much, just from 1 room to another on the occasion.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    MOBAS: League of Legends, Dota 2. MMORPG: Final Fantasy 14, Guild Wars 2. AAA: Doom

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    2-3 hours would be fair enough.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Buying it online is perfectly fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer?
    1920*1080, 120-144 fps would be preferred.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    Matte.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not particularly, the simpler the better.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    1 TB at least would be preferable.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Most likely within a month.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    3-4 years if not more. I don't necessarily plan on keeping up with the gaming world, but it would be nice to be secure for a few years down the line.

I've had my eyes on this forum for awhile, lurking through and reading through posts before I decided to make my own and seek out some advice. MSI and Clevo have both had my eye for awhile though I am leaning towards MSI for the good build quality and keyboard as I have had one of them in the past.

I'm also particularly interested in buying one from Hidevolution or GentechPC as the thermal throttling in my current laptop has been a consistent issue and both of these distributors seem to have a good handle on how to keep the system cool.

If anyone is willing to share their recommendations on what are my best options, as well as thermal paste options for them, I would be very grateful!

2. default2413

default2413 Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you clone my post? I feel like we're basically looking for the exact same thing here, and for the same purposes. I've been eyeing the Clevo P970RD from either of those two sellers you mentioned. The EVOC comes out just a little cheaper, but Gentech has a deal right now for free thermal upgrades, putting them both at right around $1700 with the upgrades I want. I'm interested to hear what other people think for options too. I just don't think I've found anything better value for that price than the Clevo. There are some deals on 8th gen i7 CPUs if you were interested in $100 off, or the NH70EDQ for the same specs as the P970RD, but in a cheaper chassis. You've probably already seen those though, so I'm interested to hear what other people have to offer too.

3. Eskilade2020

Eskilade2020 Newbie

Reputations:
    I see, I didnt have any particular Clevo in mind , but I may look more into the ones you mentioned. Hopefully we'll get some more ideas that will solidify our choices.

4. seahawk10

seahawk10 Notebook Guru

Reputations: