Looking for a gaming laptop $2500-$3500.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by bretlyt, Jun 18, 2021.

1. bretlyt

bretlyt Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?$2500-$3500

2) What size notebook would you prefer? 15"-16", 17"
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? United States

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? Open to suggestions
    a. Like: Asus, Alienware, Razer
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Internet browsing, spreadsheets
    gaming, movies

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Mostly leaving on my desk or around the house

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? Yes of various types. Have played Witcher series, Call of Duty, Dirt, Star Wars Fallen Jedi, & Grand Theft Auto to name a few.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Battery life is not a real concern.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online if fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? QHD, or WQHD. Would consider 4K if turning down the settings for gaming is a reasonable option. I don't know if it is and am hoping for input on this.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? Matte screen

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes but not if lacking function. Would prefer not to have a flashy RGB system.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 1-2 TB

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? I wish today but can wait a month for the right one.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? Hope to have at least 5 years. My Sager P150-SM just died on me after a congenial 7+ year relationship.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? As long as needed

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? Can ship to vendor.

I am willing to wait for an 11th gen Intel chip.

It has been a couple of weeks now that I have been looking for a new laptop and I'm finding that it isn't as straight forward a process for me as it was 8 years ago. For example, TGP is an important factor for a graphics card but how much power is enough? And how to know which version of a graphics card is enough so as not to waste money on diminished returns? Also, how concerned should I be about the number of nits a display has?

The Asus ROG Zephyrus S17 GX703HS-XB98 is a laptop I'm seriously considering - it sure looks good on paper - except I'm wondering how good the display is. It has a WQHD resolution and I believe uses Dolby Vision but the specs for it on XOTIC PC show the screen is just 300 nits which makes me wonder if it's good. I might be interested in a 4K display but only if changing the resolution for gaming won't adversely affect the quality.

Any advice, suggestions or opinions would be very welcome.

2. atquantrandash93

atquantrandash93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Lenovo Legion 5 pro meets your demands in my opinion. If you can wait, the Lenovo Legion 7 should be even better. Check Lenovo website constantly if possible!

Similarities between them: at least 16GBs of RAM, at least 1TB of storage, matte 1440p 165Hz screen with G-sync AND Freesync, full TDP GPUs, alternation between dedicated and integrated GPUs(required restart), RGB keyboard, and a logo that can be turned off or on.

Differences: Legion 7 has more RGB, vapor chamber for even better cooling, and up to 5900HX with 3080 160W.

The Zephyrus unlikely carries a full TDP GPU die to its slim design. Both of the Lenovo versions are much thicker, heavier, and better supplied with a 330W adapter, which is also heavy.

For more info on the Lenovo models, you can watch Jarrod's Tech videos. He covers pros and cons of these well, and what you should do to improve performance.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

3. bretlyt

bretlyt Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply, atquantrandash93. I checked out the Lenovo Legion 7 and watched Jarrod's Tech review for it and agree that it's definitely a capable machine but I'm still leaning towards the Zephyrus S17. It has the 11th Gen i9 Intel Processor, RTX 3080 GPU with up to 140W with Dynamic Boost , Advanced Optimus, option of 48GB of DDR4-3200 RAM, 3 NVMe SSDs, and QHD resolution which is something I really wanted. And all this comes in a sleek case. The only thing I don't like is that the display is only 300 nits. Since it's only available for pre-order right now I'm still looking but I'll likely get it and chance the display since I can't imagine it'll be only average on one of their high-end laptops.

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Legion 7's RTX 3080 can go up to 165W, plus it supports up to 64 GB of RAM. Based on the specs, it looks like the S17 still has up to 16 GB soldered to the motherboard, which limits your upgrade path to a maximum of 48 GB.

etern4l likes this.
  5. atquantrandash93

atquantrandash93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @bretlyt No problem! The Legion 7, and Legion 5 pro have QHD matte screens. The Legion 5 pro screen is so bright when maxed out it hurts my eyes . The Zephyrus has a glossy one. Both Lenovo models support 32GBs of RAM, I believe the Legion 7 goes up to 64GBs. The Zephyrus has a lower wattage 3080 version, while the Lenovo's have the full versions. Lastly, both Lenovo models are likely to cool the components better, as they are much bigger and heavier. I read, and watched reviews on the Zephyrus lines, and it seems Asus, along with other manufacturers, sacrifice performance to get a thin and light design in many high-end lines. To me, this means you're paying premium for less performance.

You seem to lean more on the Zephyrus, so I do hope you enjoy using it. Ultimate lely, you know best what you need.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If 16GB of RAM is idiotically soldered, you can't really upgrade to 48GB unless you want to cripple memory performance by losing dual-channel mode.