looking for a 17in 2 in 1 laptop (min gtx 1060/ 8 core) no $ limit

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by cooldex, Aug 5, 2020.

1. cooldex

cooldex Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    so i've been out of touch with the laptop world lately, and seems like major no improvements till new amd laptops are out, cause intel going through some issues. yet unaware if new rtx cards coming out.

so right now i mainly use a clevo p870tm (i9900k & a gtx 1080/ 48gb ram) love the performance, but its heavy, battery doesn't hold a charge so i often lose a lot of data, its just shuts off within 5min of usage or at random (no heavy usage) so i always try to leave it on charger. But when im at the office needing to type or show some stuff in a different room i can't just hold my laptop.

so main specs needed are

2 in 1

a min of 8 cores boost 3ghz or so

a gtx 1060 or equal

32gb of ram

17in 4k screen or bigger

second specs, 100% adobe lcd

touch screen

lots of ports

solid build

4 hr battery life

upgradeability

I do a lot of video rendering, simulation, 3d animation, and often have more then 20 windows open. (from previous days) so speed is a must, the sooner i get things out the faster & more i get paid.

I not going to sell my laptop but just leave it on the desk.

So is there some type of underground/ rare companies (or special order) making high performance 2 in 1s

2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    17inch 2in1s or what i most of the time refer as "flippables" are mostly slim in profile, to reduce weight and improve on usage duration after a full charge.
    Hence, on the dedicated GPUs component. you may not encounter higher performance GPUs like GTXs that are generally higher on TDP and bigger, thicker fans to dissipate heat keeping system cool.
    U should be looking for LOW TDP dedicated GPU like the Nvida MX350 performs much better than INTEL's integrated GPU alone. Hence you should also be looking for U-class CPUs of either AMD Ryzen or INTEL 10th Gens.

3. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/NH.Q4VAA.005

The most powerful 2 in 1 I have seen is this Acer Predator Triton 900. They actually had it on display at my local Micro Center store and it was pretty impressive, although the price was over $4000 which is on par with similar spec mobile workstations. Availability seems to be scarce for now so getting a new one may not be possible and the used market does not have many choices.

4. torncanvas

torncanvas Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been looking for something similar for over a year now. Those exact specs are hard to find, but there are a couple options if you can sacrifice one of those.

The spiritual sequel to the Triton 900 is the Concept D 9: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/conceptd-series/conceptd9
    Keep in mind the laptop is more like a 19" laptop, due to the bezels and arms. It ticks every one of your boxes, including the screen, except battery is maybe an hour.

The whole Concept D line is meant for folks like us that need gaming-like performance but also create. If you're willing to sacrifice the size, the 15" model is the Concept D 7 Ezel for which you'll get about 4 hour battery in exchange: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/conceptd-series/conceptd7ezel

Asus's competing line is ProArt, and I thought there was a laptop with an active stylus option, but I can't seem to find it...

In you're willing to sacrifice 17" and 2-in-1, but still need high performance and an active stylus screen, one model to consider is the Zephyrus Duo 15: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-Zephyrus-Duo-15/

There is an active stylus option for the XPS 17, and I think its Precision equivalent, but it's not a 2-in-1.

Same with the Lenovo P73, tho the P73 can open to 180 (keep in mind higher end models throttle). IIRC the replacement for the P73, the P17, doesn't have an active stylus option, you have to drop down to 15" with the P15. And I think that option is not 4K?? The newer ones are supposed to have much better cooling, but reviewers haven't received models yet.

Dell may have a specific lower-end model like your list, like a Latitude 2-in-1, but probably not also an 8-core CPU, and maybe a little lower color gamut.

I feel like I'm forgetting one specific laptop, but this is what I can remember for now.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020