Looking for a 17.3" Laptop with 1080p 120hz Gsync display + GTX 1070 GPU

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by GeraltTheWitcher, Aug 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeraltTheWitcher

GeraltTheWitcher Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm on the lookout for a new gaming laptop with a 17" 1080p display with 120hz and g-sync along with a GTX 1070 GPU. I've searched all over the internet but got no idea how to check if a laptop with 120hz display has g-sync or not as most of the online retailers don't provide proper info. The only laptop which i could find was the HP Omen mid 2017 refresh with the new Chassis. Is the new HP omen good as it costs only $1599. Do I miss out any features if I get the HP?

PS: I don't want to get the Asus GL702VS due to its thermal throttling.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Around $1800

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    17"

3) Where will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Reputed Brands Only (No Clevo or Sager or Eurocom).

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Purely for Gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Almost entirely on desk

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes. All Types of games including graphic intensive games(AAA games) and light games(DOTA,CS:GO).

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Will always be plugged, A desktop Replacement.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Going to purchase it Online.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    1080p with 120hz and g-sync.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Anything is ok.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not Important

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Between now and November (Wait for Thanksgiving maybe??)

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    2-3 years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    SSD(any amount of space) with a 1TB HDD.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    Not Required.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  2. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    Um, Sager/Eurocom (which are built-on Clevos) are not only reputable, but often better than what you would call "reputable" brands.

I'd venture a guess that most people on these forums would buy a Clevo before they'd touch an Alienware/MSI/HP/etc.

It pays to do some research and inform yourself. Buying a Clevo from a reseller such as HIDEvolution can not only net you exactly the machine you want, tailored with the exact components you want (something you'll never, ever get from a "reputable" seller) but they can often offer you a warranty that's every bit as good as those other vendors, while the Clevo machines are much easier to maintain/repair.

EDIT: You can probably get an Alienware 17 with those specs, though it might be a QHD display instead of FHD.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    bennyg likes this.
  3. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think MSI machines from a reputable seller such as HID and Gentech are just as reliable as Clevo based laptops.

If only Clevo laptops didn't look so basic.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. GeraltTheWitcher

GeraltTheWitcher Newbie

Reputations:
    @Ramzay The problem is that i will be bringing the laptop back to India where there's no support for these brands. I'm sorry for paraphrasing it wrongly and apologize for my grave mistake. I know these brands are also reputable and should've mentioned instead as "Well-Known" and popular brands in all parts of the world, even in third world countries. BTW do people here like Clevo a lot. A lot of people in other forums scared me out of buying a Clevo.

5. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
  6. GeraltTheWitcher

GeraltTheWitcher Newbie

Reputations:
    @sicily428 The problem with getting a laptop in India is that the prices are about 500$ higher than its US equivalent

7. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    Then perhaps your main concern should be for an international warranty. I think Alienware offers global warranty, so long as that product is sold in the country you live in.

I'm pretty sure HIDEvolution's international warranty would cover you in India. @Phoenix could probably fill you in on that.

bennyg and Spartan like this.
  8. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    You should consider taxes. EU vat is about 20% +
    what taxes in India?

9. mayuk

mayuk Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    @GeraltTheWitcher I am currently in same boat as you, kind off. Currently in USA, but waiting on some things before ordering Clevo laptop.
    HIDEvolution offers global warranty (considerable additional cost of course), but that plus taxes if applicable takes overall cost too high IMO.

Asus provides international warranty, but you have already said No to that model for good reason.
    Indian clevo reseller listed above, from what I saw on their website no much options, and not much known about them.

Alienware seems to be good option in your case

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.