Looking for a 15" laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Peri23, Jun 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peri23

Peri23 Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? Less than $900

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Netbook; 10" screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    mainstream
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    US
    4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? Open to any
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Not really

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Web surfing, school work, basic things

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 6+ would be nice but not a deal breaker

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Doesn't matter

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc. Windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    Not set on any in particular
    13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Doesn't matter
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Yes

15) When are you buying this laptop? Within a week

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? 5+ years would be great

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? At least 256 GB How much faster will SSD be?

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? Not really

Other info:
    I have been looking at HP Envy 15.6"
    I have customized two that are similar but one has 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, Intel i7 6500u and the other has 1TB conventional HD, 16 GB RAM, Intel i7 6700HQ. Both are touchscreen, I have added Microsoft office in the price, and option B has an optical drive. The price is almost identical $800 vs $808 so which is a better option? Or should I look elsewhere? Thanks

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. IAMdiscerning

IAMdiscerning Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    From what I see, you don't really need a quad-core processor, dual-core will do much better in terms of battery life and heat dissipation. Personally, I will recommend you to take a 13" -14" laptops, perhaps an Envy 13, Thinkpad 13, Thinkpad E460. If you insist on 15 inch: Thinkpad E560 and Dell E5570 (expensive) are good choices. Or you can look into refurb laptops if you don't mind, they still have OEM warranty and support, not to mention they are at really good price.

3. Peri23

Peri23 Newbie

Reputations:
    This is what the option with 256GB SSD says about the processor:

Intel® Core™ i7-6500U (2.5 GHz, up to 3.1 GHz, 4 MB cache, 2 cores) + Intel® HD Graphics 520

4. Peri23

Peri23 Newbie

Reputations:
    I will check out the GL series. I am not very educated on specs so I am going at this fairly blind. Thanks for the suggestions

5. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    HP Envy are not 4-5 year laptops unless they sit at home. Durability on them is weak. Their screen hinges work loose often, they have keyboards which tend to be bendy, AC charger jacks also prone to issues often. You need to baby these to extremes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.