Looking for 80% Business Workhorse with good Graphics

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by forcemethod, Apr 2, 2019.

1. forcemethod

forcemethod Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all I am after a new laptop for mostly work use. I need it to have some power to run 3D Building model review and queries. I work in construction and am often opening viewing many different large pdf drawings at the same time. I have a Thinkpad X1 with HD620 7300U 8gb ram at the moment, which gets me by but I am noticing it bogging down as drawing files are getting larger and more projects are using 3D Models. I am after something with some grunt to handle these issues without slowing down. I often take this laptop to business meetings as well so after something which does not scream 'gamer', although will consider these if they are reliable/powerful enough.

I am considering X1 Extreme, however heard that it throttles, and wouldnt mind something a bit thicker if it would mean less throttline/better temperatures. I have seen a few MSI laptops around and am wondering if any MSI laptop would be a better alternative to the X1 Extreme?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and guidance

General Questions

1) What is your budget? ~$2500

2) What size notebook would you prefer? 14"-15"
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? Australia

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Lenovo, MSI,
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Work, chrome with lots of tabs, office applications, Viewing/exploring 3D models of buildings, lots of document editing, viewing construction drawings with large file sizes

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Will be taking from work to home each day, commuting on the train.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) No. Will need some graphics grunt to view and query 3D models. Currently have an X1 Carbon with HD620 which does work for this but can be very slow at times, therefore thinking to get something with a more graphics power

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Not a major consideration - 3-4?

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online ok if feedback is good

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.: Must be Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) Not fussed, will be mostly plugged into external monitors.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) Either

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Need something not too overstated for business meetings

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 512gb+

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 2 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? few weeks

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? No

==========
    END COPY

2. forcemethod

Reputations:
    At the moment I am considering MSI GS65 or Thinkpad X1 Extreme. Just thinking how much of a hit on reliability I will be taking going for a GS65. Pricing is pretty similar however GS65 has much better GPU performance. Any other options I should be considering?

3. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Lenovo ThinkPad P52 comes obviously to mind, as does the Dell Precision M7530, and HP surely has a 15" ZBook.

4. forcemethod

Reputations:
    I am comparing the P52 and it substantially more expensive than the X1 Extreme or MSI GS65. It also looks like I would be taking a performance hit with the P52. I like the size and weight of the GS65/X1 Extreme, although wouldn’t mind if there was an alternative that was slightly bigger that had price/performance benefits.
    I had actually ordered an X1 extreme but it has some dead pixels and coil whine, therefore I am considering my other options. THe other potential option I am considering is a Clevo (Metabox here in Australia), however it seems the X1/GS65 have better build quality.

5. Grant B Gibson

Grant B Gibson Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the XPS 15, 7530, GS65, Razer Blade, all come to mind

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The HP ZBook 15u is a consideration, but will probably be expensive.

MSI has a W-series workstation lineup; look at the WS65, it's a professional version of the GS65.

Charles