Looking at Y530

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by qualityoverquantity, Nov 7, 2018.

1. qualityoverquantity

qualityoverquantity Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How does it look? Will this be alright to play games such as league, banished, frostpunk? Mostly strategy games, maybe some FPS; along with some productivity work.

Nothing intensive so I think those specs won't produce too much heat or power. I opted out of i7, and 1050ti -- which are intensive and more demanding, right? I'm hoping that the heat/cooling management will last with those specs.

Thanks, cheers.

edit -- MIght need TI for 144hz screen.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    How much extra is the 1050 Ti? It offers ~30 percent better 3D performance than the regular 1050. The Core i5 vs. i7 for gaming won't make a big difference. Not one that I'd pay much for, anyway.

You might look in the Dell Outlet for an Inspiron 7577 with a GTX 1060 ...much better GPU. Or go on Newegg and search for GTX 1060-equipped notebooks. Don't be afraid of an "older" CPU like the Core i5-7300H or Core i7-7700HQ, as the 8th gen chips use essentially the same technology.

Charles

3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Friend of mine checked it out recently in store and like most budget gaming laptops he really didn't like the included panel.

That said it's priced petty well.

4. qualityoverquantity

Reputations:
    The panel he was looking at was probably 250 nits, I plan 300 nits I think. Should be good enough.

Thanks for sharing.

5. qualityoverquantity

Reputations:
    I believe it is $117 extra (CAD) for 1050ti.

6. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Yeah that one was not available yet and he wanted something immediately, also in Canada.

7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I highly recommend against this laptop. the color space coverage is poor, around 40 percent. but all hope is not lost. take a look at the lenovo 720s. it does power limit throttle a touch, but not overboard.

edit.

I agree with charles. Try to find a dell with a 1060, but if it has to be lenovo then the 720s is a better option than the y530

8. qualityoverquantity

Reputations:
    I would get y730 since it's made of aluminum material (more sturdy & durable), but it's sold out and out of stock unfortunately. Should I wait for more stock? I never owned Dell, but y-series is more professional-looking.

edit: never mind, y730 doesnt have numpads.

edit: looking at 720s, it does have numpad + aluminum chassis. Interesting, why do you say it's a better option than y530?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  9. qualityoverquantity

Reputations:
    BTW, y530 does have 1060 option, just with 60hz. Isn't 144 hz better? What do you think? I'm no expert by any means but am learning/researching.

10. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The refresh rate of the screen won't make much of a difference with a GTX 1050/Ti. Refresh rate is measured in Hertz (Hz). 60Hz means a display can show 60 complete frames per second. It's the minimum you would want but also the most you would need for a GTX 1050/Ti. Those GPUs are not likely to produce more than 60fps in most modern AAA games, so a 144Hz display is just marketing.
    The response time of the display (milliseconds) will make more a difference for gaming. Lower is better, but that information may be hard to find, it's not usually advertised on notebook displays. If you know the panel you can look that up in Google, but notebooks are often sold with multiple panels and it's a lottery as to which one you'll get.
    Either way I would concentrate more on image quality. A 60Hz IPS display is probably the best you will do, but the image quality will vary. It looks like some of the other posters in this thread have some suggestions around specific notebook models. You can always look through the various manufacturer subforums in this forum and browse/ask questions in the owner's lounge threads for a specific notebook if you want some real-world feedback.

Charles