Looking at new laptop, needed suggestions

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Alpha2k, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Alpha2k

Alpha2k Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been out if the loop on a few things for some time, but recently got back into gaming again and wanted some input.

I move around a lot so this is why I choose a laptop for gaming as apposed to a desktop. I do realize I won't get the experience of a desktop from a laptop.

That being said currently I have a laptop that is 2 yrs old, has a it 6th gen 2.3ghz, 2gb Nvidia gtx 950m, 16gb ddr4 ram and 1tb Samsung ssd.

I really want to play a couple of 2019 games out right now but seriously doubt this setup would work for a fun experience. The games are ghost recon breakpoint I think it is, and call of duty modern warfare.

Looking at the specs recommended for cod it says 4ghz CPU.
    First question I'm curious about is the cpu today ramp up or boost up to said speed, ie: 4ghz. So can that boost be sustained for long periods or is it like the hd boost and is only temporary?

Second question is this, I am currently looking at this system:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-15-Inch-i7-8750H-Processor-15-dc1030nr/dp/B07NDYBX4G/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=nvidia+rtx&qid=1568328429&s=pc&sr=1-4

Do you think that would be sufficient for playing those games on normal settings without issues or bottlenecks? I do realize that it may not push ultimate settings, but I'm good at normal, and I normally turn off Bloom and shadows to also help things out.

Sorry if the post seems a bit lengthy for my first post, just wanted to be as precise as I could I'm explaining things.

2. Vingard

Vingard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's a solid system - generally well regarded and should easily fulfill your requirements - as long as you are okay with the 60hz display.

3. Alpha2k

Alpha2k Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't mind that so much as I do not being able to play because of hardware specs.
    I'm currently at 60hz on this laptop anyways so it shouldn't bother me much.

Thanks for the reply.

When I was looking up the recommended specs of cod the listed specs of what people recommended were like all over the place, so it's really hard to plan around stuff when you get 10 different answers.

Going from the Activision site though, they recommend 4.0ghz, but I can't find a base speed of 4ghz for a laptop. Desktop yes, so since the base speed of intel laptop CPUs are like v2.4 to like 2.8 base speed I was concerned about the speed not being enough with the game

4. Vingard

Vingard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. Alpha2k

Alpha2k Newbie

Reputations:
    Definitely nice option.
    I went with the one I linked due to the rtx Nvidia, as from my understanding the rtx warrents more fps on avg over the gtx series and is obviously more future proof, over the refresh rate.
    Some say the gtx models are phasing out.

6. Alpha2k

Alpha2k Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Vingard,
    Have a question for ya, maybe you might know.

I'm still kinda confused on the Intel turbo boost stuff.

With hard drives there is a boost on transfer but it only sustains the max boost for like seconds not a full throttle sustain.
    So I'm curious as to how this intel boost works.
    In the case of that laptop I linked, it has a base speed of 2.2ghz, but boosts up to 4.1ghz.
    Thats where my question comes in, does it boost to the 4.1 or 4.0 even, and sustain it at that speed or is that just like the hdd boost and it only sustains that 4.1 speed for only a few seconds or mins even and then throttles back down?

If you know please fill me in, I'd be greatful.

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...50h-coffee-lake.810891/page-129#post-10913323

https://www.google.no/amp/s/www.techspot.com/amp/review/1847-intel-core-i7-9750h-vs-8750h/

8. Alpha2k

Alpha2k Newbie

Reputations:
    So it looks as if I ran into a snag with the amazon laptop, so will have to go local.

I have these two options available, just need some input

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-1...-128gb-ssd-abyss-gray/6355498.p?skuId=6355498

and

https://www.microcenter.com/product/601500/gl63-156-gaming-laptop-computer---black

Only difference I see if the Dell has a 1 gen higher cpu, which is clocked higher by .05ghz and base speed.

So given that, any thoughts?

Is Dell a good brand?

I know MSI has held up to stand the test of time in brand name, but if dell is a reliable brand and it won't matter, I'll probably go with the dell, but I've in the past considered dell a lower budget brand as apposed to a quality brand like msi, maybe that doesn't hold true anymore.