Looking at Acer A715-72G but open to ideas

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by gmogg, Nov 29, 2018.

1. gmogg

gmogg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I'm currently looking at this:
    https://caen-store.acer.com/aspire-7-laptop-a715-72g-55ep

Firstly, do you think its any good? Secondly, does it match what I'm looking for below? Thirdly, is there a better computer for me?

General Questions

1) What is your budget? Max $1,000 CAD

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    15." but also open to 13". Mainly like the full keyboard.
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    Canada

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Open to any but have had a bad experience with Dell.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Prefer new. My previous laptop was refurbished and dint last half as long as I'd have hoped.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Day to day uses, internet browsing, word processing, music recording, light gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Mainly at home and around the house.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes. I play Cities Skylines, tycoon games, CIV - have also played GTA V on my older laptop.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    As im always at home not much but the more the merrier.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Seeing it online is ok.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080 minimum.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Don't really care. WOuld be nice to not have glare interfere with the screen performance though.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    I don't want anything that has that 'gamer' look. You know, the red backlight and grills. More into a standard laptop. If it looks sleek though then great!

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Would like an SSD. Never ahd one before. I've herad it'll change my life. I also want to be better at not storing too much on the computer. SO enough space to have the OS, programs, games and software.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Soon. Within the next 2 months.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    As long as possible.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Couple weeks.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    NA

--------------

Really into the Acer aspire i posted in the link but open to other suggestions that may be better than it for the same price.

Thanks!!

2. ApostateTapir

ApostateTapir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Specs look good on that machine. Just got an Acer for my sister and I've been really impressed with the performance, though I've only tested it as a productivity only machine. The one you have linked has similar specs as the one I've been playing with, but with a discrete GPU.

I think thermals are the only thing you're going to have to really worry about with something as thin as that. You'll probably want to elevate the back of the laptop when using it for increased airflow. Also, the 1050 is not "future-proof" with VR.

Overall, if you've never used anything with an SSD, this machine will probably blow you away. It'll run everything you've listed, but don't expect it to run the latest and greatest on high settings.

3. gmogg

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply! I'm not really too worried about VR. The gaming I do is fairly light but its good to have the option.

Is there something out there that would be similar to this worth considering that is cooler?

4. pete962

pete962 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I just got myself HP Omen 15' for $1000 US with I-7- 8750, GTX 1060, 16GB RAM, 256 GB Samsung 960 EVO SSD and 1TB Seagate 7200 RPM. I'm not a big fan of HP or Dell neither and would never consider buying HP laptop before, but I couldn't find anything with similar specs for less than $1250 otherwise, so I had to give it a try. So far I'm pretty happy with it and it even has Thunderbolt, so at least in theory in the future I could do e-GPU with GTX 2070 or something if I wanted. I know you're in Canada so I can't help you with direct links, but I'm sure HP must have some online outlets there. Make sure you find discount codes and don't pay retail price, if you're interested.

5. gmogg

Reputations:
    Thanks! I'll look into it! Teh price would be a bit more in Canada I'm sure. Never had any luck finding discount codes for tech mind.

6. ApostateTapir

ApostateTapir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Aspire 5 (what I've been playing with for my sister) is the cheaper version of what you're looking at. I've been blown away by it. I don't know that you can do better than the Aspire 7 for $1000.

There is an MSI option from HIDevolution in your price range, but you said you don't want anything that has red accents and grills, etc.

7. gmogg

Reputations:
    Awesome! Thank you.

It really looks like the best bang for my buck!

And yeah, the 'gaming' look that some laptops have is a bit of turn off for me. I don't need a ferrari ;)

8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

I think these are all your options, assuming CAD 1000 is around USD 750 in purchasing power: noteb search.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

The Acer A715-72G is a good choice, and I haven't heard that it has any significant issues. So if you like that laptop and you found it for a good price, that's ok.
    Other options to consider are:
    - Acer Nitro AN515-53 is probably the best budget gaming laptop on the market. With a thermal paste replacement, it works rather well.
    - Dell 7567, which is an older model, but it has outstanding battery life, rock-solid chassis and excellent thermal management
    - Lenovo Y530, which is overall a good laptop, not as good as the dell, but it does fair better than the Acer, especially regarding customer support.

I think that's about it for your budget.

You can get better laptops if you increase your budget, with significant improvements concerning video card and screen quality.