Longevity of Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 Hybrid 750GB

Discussion in 'Dell' started by etcetera, Sep 13, 2017.

1. etcetera

etcetera Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will replace it with the Samsung 1TB Evo, the 850 model.

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, my firecuda decided to give up the ghost completely this week. My system pulled a blue screen, then when I tried to re install windows it could not find any drive to install it on. So, like most everyone else, I am replacing it with a new 1tb SSD.

Vasudev and custom90gt like this.
  3. etcetera

Reputations:
    So how many hours did the HDD accumulated on it at that point when it failed?

4. etcetera

Reputations:
    My HDD hit 20,000 hours this week.

5. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not enough. I now have an older intel 320 ssd and it’s so fast. I have two ssd coming to replace drives in my devices now.

6. etcetera

Reputations:
    I read reviews of that "Hybrid" drive on Amazon, they are either very positive or "My drive failed within 6 months, don't ever buy this" type. Really, just like with any other HDD.

I see Samsung 860 the 1TB model has dropped to $127 price level, shipped, on Amazon Prime. Really, kind of amazing considering it's not much more than this hybrid drive. The price delta is not that great.

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nope. The price of the full blown SSD has dropped since I bought the hybrid. That being said, I really wanted 2 tb of storage. I may look for a 2 tb SSD and see what I can come up with.

8. ericxps

ericxps Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I would advise everyone to stay clear of Seagate HDDs. They are proven to be the worst in terms of reliability.

DoctorRzepa likes this.
  9. DoctorRzepa

DoctorRzepa Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I second that. I had 2 Seagate HDDs (the second one was the replacement for first one - under warranty) and both failed, each after 2 years. My friend's portable Seagate HDD also died with no reason within 2 years.

ericxps likes this.
  10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have never had a Seagate drive give me issues. This however, makes me rethink my choice of using them. I now have Kingston SSD's in both our dell computers now, and they are WAY faster. I did notice a speed increase with the SSHD, but the speed increase from that to my SSD is 10 times better. My wifes little inspiron 11 3000 2 in 1 went from being useable in 3 mins to being useable in less than 30 seconds. I am now ordering one for my sons acer S5 (MacBook air clone but better!). The Kingston drives are great. Inexpensive, have a decent brand name to back them up ( I have been using Kingston cards in my cameras for years) and now in my computers. I need to get some archival drives for my home server I am setting up. I am going to run ALOT of drive storage in a mirror setup to stay safe.