Long time no post... CPU running small

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by almostoast, Apr 27, 2020.

1. almostoast

almostoast Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello Gentlemen and Ladies of the laptop world.
    I'm writing in regards to a cpu throttling issue that has me once again looking to you guys for some serious answers. I have a P870TMG1 with an 8700k that will not clock faster than 2.8ghz. This computer was bought in and around the spring of 2018 from HIDevolution, and has been well used and never cleaned out. I have always used a 5 fan cooling pad underneath it from day 1. I include these details because I think it may be relevant but I'm not sure. This particular machine has the unlocked, overclocked, de-lidded and undervolted 8700k, a GTX1080 and 32 gigs of ram, Prema bios and I have toyed around with overclocking it and goofed with the bios setting plenty of times. Anyway, she will only clock up to 2.8ghz no matter what i do. I've tried resetting the bios to factory optimized using F3 in the menu to no avail. I've tried every trick I know (which ain't many!) to get her to spit out some higher numbers but no. Won't happen for me. I assumed that If it was a thermal throttling issue I would be able to post 4.7 or at least 3.7 until she got hot, but it seems locked down to 2.8.
    Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
    And thank you in advance!!!! Most Gratefully Yours
    Toast

2. almostoast

almostoast Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    OH! I forgot to mention. Because I am an idiot, that when I watch the numbers in HWInfo or CPUID CPUZ I see no overheating issues at all!

3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    If you have an Intel CPU and you are having a throttling problem, why not post some ThrottleStop screenshots? The main screen, the TPL window and the FIVR window would be a good place to start.

2.8 GHz is an unusual number for this CPU so I would like to see what ThrottleStop has to say. Run a log file while your CPU is loaded or open up the Limit Reasons window and see if anything is red.

4. almostoast

almostoast Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You need to have the limits window open while the CPU is under load.

6. unclewebb

Reputations:
    In the ThrottleStop FIVR window it shows that Speed Shift EPP is set to 178. That will limit your CPU performance. Try using the Windows High Performance power profile and see if this changes.

Having the CPU Core IccMax set to 40 will also kill performance. Use ThrottleStop to set this as high as possible (255.75) or adjust this in the BIOS.

There does not appear to be anything wrong with your CPU. It is just how someone has set it in the BIOS. When you first run ThrottleStop, if it does not find the ThrottleStop.INI config file, it will read this information from the CPU. What it has read from the CPU does not look good.

The turbo power limits in the TPL window probably do not look good either. Make sure the PP0 Current Limit is set to 256.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  7. almostoast

almostoast Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    40 amps at 1.3v (generous), 52W of power allowance. Yeah that wont clock much.

9. almostoast

almostoast Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ok.... so when i boot up into my bios... what do i set the numers to? Because i dont really know what im doing

10. unclewebb

Reputations:
    Were you able to solve the problem by making adjustments in ThrottleStop? What adjustments did you make? If you adjusted the current limit or IccMax, look for something similar in the BIOS.