Long battery life, moderately good gaming performance, high resolution screen

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Azone, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azone

Azone Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, I'm going to try this again. I'm looking for a laptop, 13"-15", capable of running most modern games on medium-high (basically, at least a ~750M) with a long (really hoping for 6 hours) non-gaming battery life and a 1080p screen. I made a similar thread earlier and said I would have been fine with 1600x900, but after using that resolution for a bit, I can't say 900 lines is enough. The difference between it and my current 1680x1050 laptop screen is more significant for my use than I expected. I'd also strongly prefer a high quality matte screen (sadly, a GE40 would do nicely if it had a better screen).

The laptop will be used for school work, engineering programs, field work, and LAN parties. I have a desktop for the more demanding tasks.

Here's the questionnaire for the rest of my, less significant, requirements.

What is your budget?
    Below $1000 unless I find the perfect machine.

What country will you be buying this in?
    USA

What size notebook do you prefer?
    Thin and Light (13 - 14-inch screen)
    Mainstream (15 - 16-inch screen)

Would you consider a refurbished laptop?
    Maybe

What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?
    Web Surfing, Office and Productivity Software, Listening to Music, Photo Editing, Video Editing, Computer Programming, Movie Streaming and Viewing, Output Video to TV or Large Monitor, 3D CAD Design, Graphic Intense 3D Gaming

Engineering programs

What games will you be playing?
    Everything, really. I'd like it if it can handle games in the same league as Borderlands 2, Just Cause 2 or Civilization V.

Where will you be using this laptop?
    All places where my desktop isn't present, so class, public places, outside, and other's homes.

How many hours of battery life do you need?
    6+

Will you be buying online or in store?
    Doesn't matter

Which OS do you prefer?
    Doesn't matter

List the screen resolutions that interest you:
    Max Resolution (1920 x 1080)

Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?
    Matte

Is the laptops design important to you?
    No. Besides, anything that's an eyesore can be painted flat black. :D

Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop?
    I should have bought it yesterday.

How long do you want this laptop to last?
    2-4 years

How much storage capacity do you need?
    As much as possible, but a terabyte would be nice.

Are you interested in SSD for storage?
    Yes.

Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?
    No

If Lenovo was more accurate about the Y Series' battery life, I'd grab an ~$800 Y410p/Y510p without hesitation. The Clevo W230ST is lacking in battery life and the MSI GE40, as I mentioned, suffers from a poor screen (and it's a bit more than what I would like to spend). The T440s is tempting, but who knows when that will come out (or if it ends up getting a dedicated GPU and a good screen).

Also, does anyone know if the Ideapad Y Series ultrabays will support second batteries at any point? That would solve all of my problems.

2. koolcoolkg

koolcoolkg Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well of all cards in queue of 750m you can rarely get 6+ hrs of battery.

Most near option will be w230st from LPC DIGITAL but it will max to 245-280 min.It is a best bang for bucks and you can negotiate from $1050 to $1000.

Well Ativ book 8 has great battery but it is a bit over your budget.

3. Azone

Reputations:
    Yeah, that's what I thought. I could, maybe, settle for 5 hours, but I really don't want to be under that. It's annoying because these Haswell/Optimus equipped notebooks should be capable of well over 6 hours if they just had decently sized batteries. My current laptop is 7200 mAh and 11.1 V, so about 79 Whr. Seems most of these aren't even 60 Whr.

I didn't know the W230ST could do over 4 hours, I thought it was more in the mid-3 hour range (hence why I've ignored it). The GTX 765M in it is nice, but definitely not necessary and I'd gladly step down a notch or two just for more juice.

And I overlooked the Ativ Book 8 because it doesn't have Haswell, but perhaps that's something to check out. I'll look into it.

Thanks.

4. Azone

Reputations:
    Well, after thinking about it, I don't think the Ativ Book 8 is worth going over my budget. So unless I find one under $1000, I'll pass.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

5. Jowen

Jowen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    check yout the acer v7-482 or v7-582

6. Mankix

Mankix Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    This is exactly the type I'm looking for, for very similar reasons.

On the Acers, would the i7-4500u be a bottleneck on some applications?

7. Azone

Reputations:
    Does the V7-582 really only come with a 720M? That seems a bit pointless, doesn't it? The V7-482, however, actually looks like a great package. Hadn't seen it before, but then again I can't find a direct link to it on Acer's website. Still, with a $1300 price and an i7-4500U, I'm not sure if it's right for me, since I will be running some CPU-intense tasks. It'll probably pair with the 750M just fine for gaming, though.

8. Azone

Reputations:
    Does the Asus N550JV seem like a good option? Slightly weaker GPU than the others (GDDR3 750M), potentially over 5 hours of battery life, and a 1080p matte screen for under $1000. Minus the slightly weaker GPU, I'm having difficulty in finding any major flaws.

9. Sminoj

Sminoj Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I've been doing some pretty extensive research into both the Y510p and the N550JV (the touchscreen model b/c I don't mind the glare) and found that with the N550JV it can get a bit over 5 hours 20 minutes (give or take 10/15 minutes) on light usage with minimum brightness and with some tweaks (XTU underclocking CPU, replacing wireless card for one thats less of a power hog, etc.) and it supports Optimus out of the box. But the Y510p is a bit tricky because Lenovo doesn't even include the HD 4600's drivers on some models (I believe its the SLI versions) and if you do get everything working properly (Optimus w/ single 2GB GDDR5 750m card) you can get a bit under 5 hours (~15 min give or take) haven't heard what happens if you underclock some settings. Would like to know your decision, b/c I'm in the same boat :( I'm looking for a laptop that's "gaming capable" to the extent that I can play BF3 with good settings @ native 1080p resolutions.

Just my 2¢

10. Jobine

Jobine Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Y510p will work with optimus as long as there is no SLI add-in card plugged into the ODD bay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.